Carlingford to Harmpton

"But Mum, why must I go?" The eleven year old lad whined, clutching at his mother's skirts. The corners of his mouth turned down slightly as she pushed him away, tucking her ginger ringlets behind her ear impatiently. He looked up at her with wide eyes, his bottom lip quivering. Although it was childish, he had no clue as to why he was being sent away to live with his Aunt and Uncle.

"It isn't safe here anymore, 'Riah." The woman replied simply, taking his hands in her own. She ran her thumb over his reassuringly, only having to bend over slightly to see him eye to eye. After dropping one of his hands, she wiped away his tears carefully with her thumb. She pulled her fingers away as he nodded slowly, dipping his head as he returned to his suitcase, which was halfway full. He continued packing his few belongings into the leather bound case.

"URIAH!" His name was called from the main part of the home, where he quickly ran to. He looked up at the older man, [a spitting image of the adult Uriah], raising an eyebrow slightly. "Get your things. It's time." His father instructed, his voice raspy and heavily scented by alcohol. Uriah quickly nodded, deciding it was not the best idea to argue. He returned to his room where he pulled on a thick wool coat and placed a tweed hat over his curling hair. After collecting his suitcase, he followed his father into the rain as they walked towards the train station, which would take him to Bangor, where he would board a ship which would take him to Blackpool, where he would board yet another train to Northumberland. It was an incredibly long trip for the boy, taking a few days. He wrapped his arms around his father's neck as the man knelt down in front of him. Although he was intoxicated ninety percent of the time, Uriah loved his father more than anything in the world. He bit the inside of his cheek tightly to keep himself from tearing up as he stepped into the train, lugging his suitcase with him. He received many odd looks, for it was very rare that anyone would send their eleven year old some out of his own. He took his seat near a window where he peered out at the station to keep his mind off of what was happening.

After a few hours, Uriah had dozed off, for it was late in the night. He was awoken by someone poking him in the cheek. He opened his eyes slightly, peering over at the person. A young girl, either his age or slightly younger. She had a wide smile plastered on her face as she waved at him. "Forgive me, but I am terribly bored. Would you mind if we had a chat?" She asked cheekily, crossing her hands over her knee as she eyed him. Uriah nodded slightly, shifting his weight uncomfortably as his gaze raked over her. "My name is Vivian." She beamed, batting her eyelashes playfully. "Most everyone calls me Viv." She added, raising a thin eyebrow.

Uriah smiled slightly, only one corner of his mouth turning up. "M'names Uriah." His words still sluggish, affected heavily by his accent. He removed the cap from his head and ran his palm over his hair in attempt to smooth down the random tufts. He laughed softly as Vivian giggled, flicking a loose curl. "I believe I am due for a cut." He raised his right shoulder in a half shrug, flashing a brief smile.

He and Vivian spoke for most of the train ride, only taking a few breaks to eat or sleep. He learned that she was from London, and that her father owned a large banking company. Her family had visited Ireland to meet one of her cousins for the first time, and that it was quite delightful. She had an older sister named Prudence, as well as an older brother named Benedict. Vivian, Prudence, and Benedict. Quite interesting names, truthfully. He explained his brief history, how his mother and father met, and how they lived on a small farm in the country. He left out the fact that his father was an alcoholic, and was often getting into brawls with the local villagers. Vivian and Uriah rambled on for hours until he had to get off the train in Bangor. He bid farewell, stealing a kiss before running down the platform. He looked back for a moment, realizing he had forgotten his hat. The girl waved at him through the window, placing the hat on her head. She dropped her eyelid in a wink, her blush clearly visible through the glass. Uriah didn't mind at all that the small piece of his home was in good hands. His feet moved quickly as he made his way to the shipyard, handing his ticket over before boarding the large vessel. He was led below decks to the rooms, where he found out that he was to share with a few other children and an older man. The others clearly hated his presence, criticizing him throughout the whole trip. He was never one for water, which caused him to become sea sick at least three times.

After the miserable boat ride, he boarded a train to Northumberland. He slept most of the way, as he didn't get any more than a wink on the ship. He was awoken by a loud whistle, and the conductor yelling. He collected his suitcase quickly, stepping off of the train just as it started moving once more. His eyes scanned the area, looking for a familiar face. He had only met his Aunt once before- when he was about six years old. The corners of his mouth turned up when he heard a woman yelling his name. "You made it!" A blonde woman in her mid thirties wrapped her arms around him, leaving kisses all over his face.

"Hello Aunt Marie." Uriah smiled, hugging her back. He held onto her gloved hand tightly as they walked back to her home, a small cottage within the village. "Your Uncle will be back later this evening.. he was hired at the estate." She explained, helping him unpack. He nodded slowly, changing into a fresh shirt as he listened. "The estate?" Uriah repeated, raising an eyebrow. "As a footman, yes." His Aunt replied, smiling softly at him before kissing the top of his head.

--------------