Chapter 3: Meeting the King

The journey was rather boring and tiring. The next day Panther woke up, exhausted by her adventure the previous night, but would not admit it to Hartman, who she avoided for the rest of the day. Kit walked beside her and managed to keep up with her despite being just as tired as she was. Guards always walked behind them, even when she slowed down or sped up. Hartman looked back at them every once in a while as if to guarantee she had not killed all of his guards silently and escaped. While Panther was flattered that he considered her so skilled, she was not, and often found it irritating to be constantly checked on. At one point, she had given up on glaring at him each time, so she made a funny face instead. One time, he even laughed, much to Panther's satisfaction.
   The journey to the palace was otherwise boring. Panther got up every day, walked an exceedingly long time, and ate every day at breakfast and dinner. Every day, for several weeks on end. Why is the palace so far away?, groaned Panther, inwardly, though she already knew why. If the prisoners at the mines ever escaped, the guards did not want vengeful men to break in to the palace. Panther was regretting not agreeing to stay in the barred carriage. Occasionally, she made Kit go in there to rest. He did not complain, but it was clear that he was absolutely exhausted.
   Finally, on one day of the tedious journey, Panther could see the capital. She stood on the ridge of a hill and saw the vast city sprawled out before. The sun, while low, would not go down for at least another hour. It would take them maybe six hours to reach the capital and enter the palace. A smile spread across Panther's face as she thought of the joy a bed would be. Rest at last! She started to walk down the hill, but was stopped by Captain Hartman crossing her path.
   "Where do you think you're going?" asked Hartman, with a smirk.
   "Down the hill, and toward the king, as was the original plan."
   "We will travel until the sun sets, as usual, but no more. We will get to the palace tomorrow evening."
   "Tomorrow evening?!" exclaimed Panther, "But we could get there tonight!"
   His eyes flashed warily at the jungle. Suddenly, it made sense to Panther. He was afraid of traveling in the jungle, just like Kit. Panther smirked.
   "Are you afraid, Captain?" she gloated.
   "No, but my men, as you may have noticed, are not very experienced. We will not be traveling, in the dark, in the jungle."
   "Your men's inexperience should be all the more reason for you to want to leave the danger of the jungle as soon as you can. Besides, we are more vulnerable sleeping, then we are walking."
   Hartman smiled glumly, "Who is leading this journey, you or me. Right now it seems to be mostly you."
   "Nonsense Hartman, I let you take charge of all the walking," Panther said, her smirk turning into a grin.
   He laughed, but then continued in a relatively serious voice, despite his smile, "Unfortunately for you, I believe that we are best suited remaining in the jungle for tonight. Besides, one more night could not possibly hurt."
   "It will hurt me," Panther groaned, "I hate sleeping in that blasted carriage."
   "I think I can live with your pain," Hartman said, as he turned to find an easier way down the hill.
   "Perhaps you can, Hartman, but you could never live with my jeremiad!" shouted Panther, as he walked away. She heard his scoff and laughed herself.
   Ever since Panther had met Kit, he had been teaching her humor, whether he knew so or not. Panther had noticed that the miners who remained reclusive were always those who died earliest. So she had welcomed Kit's company. While in her presence, Kit had laughed and made jokes and even poked fun at her, so she had joined in and gained a sense of humor in the process.
   She returned to the company of Hartman's men and Kit. That night, the company of people stopped just after the sun set, still too far away for Panther's liking. During dinner and even while Hartman was positioning his guards that night, Panther complained. She rarely ever did, when she wasn't doing it on purpose, but that night she never failed to groan or gripe over something that Hartman had said or done. Panther left him alone while he slept, mostly because she was sleeping herself, but resumed in the morning.
   Later, just after every citizen in the capital and palace would've had lunch, Panther and the king's guards had arrived in the city with sore feet. Every citizen in their path could tell that they were headed for the palace and quickly moved out of their way. Small children and women stared at Panther, the only female they had likely ever seen with a pair of swords strapped to her back. When older women saw her, they scoffed and turned away, as if they were disgusted with her. Young men goggled at the sight or started sizing her up as an opponent, something that made Panther roll her eyes. If only they knew who I am, thought Panther, then they wouldn't be so keen on staring.
    Kit looked around with large, round, dark eyes that seemed to take up more and more of his face with every sight he saw. A two story building used by a middle class family, they got wider. Boys his age laughing and playing with wooden swords, they got wider. Gold that adorned girls of about the same age, they got wider. If only he knew that this was normal, not strange, Panther thought as she observed him.
   Not long after entering the city did they finally come upon the palace grounds. She caught the look of several guards glaring at her as they passed by on watch. Panther simply grinned at them. It is best to aggravate them now, while she still has the protection of the king. Hartman dismissed most of his men and then looked at her and held out his hand.
   "What?" asked Panther.
   "Give me your weapons. Let the king at least think that I had them the entire way," Hartman said.
   Panther growled, not too thrilled at having to give up her weapons, but handed them over any way saying, "I will get them back."
   He grinned and said, "You've made that clear."
   Panther was led down several long passages. The corridors were very labyrinthine. She had no doubt that she would never be able to get out of here again, which made it twice as effective as the mine. The halls bustled with activity, whether it was a messenger boy going from here to there or a group of maids sweeping the halls or dusting various busts of kings long since dead and at one point she had memorized. A couple of petitioners flocked the same way her group did, but would likely have to wait outside while they met with the king first. The halls were very tight for the amount of people who swarmed inside the palace, but they cleared out of the way quickly at the sight of Hartman and the few men who accompanied him. Another guard passed them and Panther caught a glimpse of a blue, circular charm on a leather strap that hung on his neck. Whatever could that be, Panther mused.
   Finally, the small group came to exceptionally large, jungle wood doors that were decorated with inlaid with various jewels. This was the entrance to the king's throne room. This was where the king would meet Panther for the first time. She pondered over why the king would send for her yet again. Panther had had this thought on her mind since she had left the mine and had come with inconclusive results. Had he sent for her to kill her? No, that was much more easily accomplished at the mines. Did he have a request to ask of her? Why would he want anything from a thief, other than what she stole? All this she considered as a guard went into the throne room and came back saying that she could enter the glorious presence of His Majesty the greatest king that has ever lived. Panther nearly rolled her eyes at the young squire. She could not care less about what he thought about the king. The company walked in and hurried to stand at attention before the king. Panther could feel the full weight of the king's stare on her.
   In terms of appearance, she supposed the king was handsome. He had blond hair, like his son's, only his was streaked with gray. His eyes were a deep green, like the plants of the jungle. Panther suspected that those eyes could be as comforting as they were condemning, though she doubted that she would see the former anytime soon.
   "Panther," began King Auden, his voice commanding, "Welcome to my court."
   Panther did not say anything regarding his hospitality, but instead said, "What could be so important that the king should send for me at sword-point?"
   Panther heard Hartman shift nervously. She glanced at him to find that he had taken his hand and placed it on his forehead in an exasperated manner. Once again, she turned to face King Auden.
   "Something of incredible importance to me, otherwise you would not have been chosen for it," continued King Auden.
   "Must you keep me in suspense, Your Highness?"
   Just then, the doors to the throne room opened. Panther whirled around, surprised and wishing she had her swords on her. When she saw who it was, however, she was glad she did not have them. Prince Alagan strode in, looking quite handsome in his blue robes. Though when he met her gaze, his eyes widened and looked to his father.
   "This is your plan? To get a lowly thieve's assistance!" Alagan began.
   Suddenly, Panther wanted her swords back. She glared at Alagan in an irritated manner and said, "Would you mind sharing this plan with the lowly thief?"
   Alagan matched her glare, then Panther turned to face King Auden. She already hated whatever plan he has come up with, especially if it involved the prince. The king simply rubbed his forehead as if he already had a headache. Or perhaps regret, Panther thought irritatedly.
   "Panther, there have been attacks on the royal family," began King Auden. Panther turned her head to the side, considering why he would think this was her problem.
   King Auden took her silence as a chance to continue, "Poisonings, hired assassins, and the like. Most have been directed to Alagan and me."
   Panther looked at the many guard in the room and a few that had likely appeared after Alagan showed up. She had not noticed it before. Panther had just assumed that it was normal for a king and prince to be followed by guards, but perhaps not this many. Panther's eyes widened as she realized why she was here.
   "I am not going to play body guard for you," she said determinedly.
   "Not me, my son," King Auden said.
   "I do not need the protection of a criminal," Alagan said.
   "I am not happy about this either," complained Panther.
   "You," said the king while pointing at her, "have no right to complain. And you," he pointed at Alagan, "are my son and will do as I say."
   Panther shut up. She knew that the king was right. Panther did not have any right to complain. She could still be at the mine, rotting away slowly. At least she would have food and resources here. She only had two questions, though Panther couldn't get a word in edgewise with the amount of complaints coming from Alagan.
   "How will this be accomplished? Also, why me?" Panther said quietly. It was not much, but it quickly silenced Alagan and the king's bickering.
   "You're going along with this?" Alagan said dubiously.
   "The king is right, I have no choice. But I do have a right to know how he plans to use me," Panther said.
   "During the day, you will be with Alagan at all times. You will inspect his food for poisonings, and if necessary you will lay down your life at the hands of an assassin. At dusk, after dinner, you will be replaced by the prince's guard. You will then return, at dawn, and resume the task of guarding him.
   "As for why I chose you, you stole my wife's precious gems and jewelry. You are in my debt. Also, dear Panther, you are a remarkable fighter. If not for the trick my men played on you, you would likely have left the fight without a scratch," said King Auden.
   "Father, I don't need her!" Alagan whined.
   Panther, not one to let him get away with insulting her, said, "Hush now, Alagan. Let the adults talk."
   Alagan turned red, which felt very satisfying to Panther. He was so mad that he did not even know how to respond. His fist clenched and unclenched and his breath was ragged, as if he was trying to suppress as frustrated scream. Panther smirked. She liked getting a reaction. It was also good that her having to protect Alagan poked holes in his pride.
   Auden shifted in his marble throne. He gazed around the room, as if looking for guards who might be able to break up any oncoming fight between Panther and the prince. His eyes landed on Kit, who fidgeted under his gaze.
   "Who are you?" asked the king.
   "This is Kit. He cannot answer for himself as he does not know the language of the capital," Panther answered for him.
   "Is he from the mine?"
   "Yes, sir."
   The king pondered this for a moment. In the meantime, he motioned for Hartman to give Panther back her weapons. Taking the leather grips in her hand, she managed to sheathe one before King Auden spoke again.
   "Send him back to the mine," said the king.
   Two guards grabbed Kit, who was now pale, and began to forcefully drag Kit out of the room. He struggled and fought, which made the guards job all the more difficult. Panther, with her one unsheathed sword, bolted at the taller one and knocked him unconscious before the second one could draw his sword. When the second one had drawn his weapon, the king yelled, "STOP!"
   The guard froze, his sword held to her neck. Panther halted, holding her sword to his neck. She glared at the guard, who had let go of Kit in the process of the fight. She felt Alagan's eyes on her back. She made no effort to kill the guard.
   "I said stop, Panther!" King Auden commanded.
   "In due time."
   "No, now!"
   "Agree that either Kit stays, or he returns to his family in Nerezza," Panther demanded.
   "You would order the king?" asked Alagan incredulously.
   "I order your father, who needs my help, who needs you to be protected. Otherwise, I will leave, which will be more damaging to you than to me."
   "The boy stays here. He will be given a job to do within the palace," spoke King Auden with resignation after a moment. Panther lowered her sword and the guard lowered his. Again, she noticed a circular, blue charm on his neck. Before she could get a good look at it, he shifted his armor and it disappeared.
   The king gave her the rest of the night to recuperate from the journey. Her room in the palace was bigger than the entirety of her family's home in Nerezza. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud and the blankets were silk. However, Panther's room had only one tiny window with wooden doors that could be closed when it rained. She supposed they did not want her running away like she had done the last time she was here. All in all, Panther decided that she could get used to living in the palace.