Chapter 2

I was in the woods. It was dark, but I could see as crystal clear as if it would have been day. The trees surrounded me, creating a creepy athmosphere. I looked up and couldn't see the sky; the trees were taller than any building I've ever seen in my whole life. 

A creak behind me got me spinning around. I couldn't see anything, but somehow, inside me, I knew that someone was there. Suddenly a pair of eyes stared at me. No body, no head, just a pair of eyes. I shivered as I recognized them from that night. They were the same colour as then, the shining bloody red. The eyes didn't blink. 

A cold wind swept through and I huttered. Why was it so cold? I looked down at myself. No wonder I was freezing, I was only wearing a white dress that ended around my knees. Confused, I frowned. When did I dress up in this? I never wear dresses. And why does it smell like smoke?

I took a few steps forward, very carefully. Nothing happened. I waited a second, then turned my heels and started walking the other way, as fast as I could. I could feel the stare burn in my neck, but it was a relief to get away from it.

I went farther and farther away. I didn't know what I was seeking for, but the closes I got to it, the more my wrist started to sting. Not the burning pain like in the alley, but more like a slight, stinging pain. I was suprised that I wasn't freezing anymore. 

Suddenly I changed my mind. I needed to get out of this forest, not deeper in. I was shocked when I discovered that my body continued to move forward agains my will. Something else forced it forward. Normally, my feet wold have hurt at the speed I was going, but I didn't feel a thing. Instead, I was really scared. The fear took over my brain, and I began to hyperventile. 

I was near the breaking point, when a familiar voice entered my head. I didn't recognize it, but I knew I had heard it before.

Welcome.

My body stopped at once, like somebody had pushed a button. Still panting, I slid down on the ground. As I was forcing myself to calm down, a girl came out behind  the trees.

She was tall and beautiful, she had dark-chocolate brown hair to her waist, like me, and was wearing the same dress as me. She was slight transparent, as if she was taken from an old movie. I bit my lip when I saw her face. Instead of eyes she had black holes.

''Who are you?'' I hissed suspiciously. ''And what did you do to me?''

I winced when she started speaking again. Her mouth didn't move, but inside my head I heard her voice as if she had stood right next to me.

I am the former you, but at the same time, I am not.

I frowned. ''What?''

I do not have the time to explain everything right now. I will only tell you what I came for, the rest will come to you in one way or another.

I shaked my head, confused. ''I don't understand.'' I heard her sigh inside my head.

I am Yu Xiang. I lived in the 18th century. I was a Okalani, just like you are. 

''O-Okala- what?'' 

Please do not interrupt. Okalani, yes.

She held up her wrist for me to see. She had the exact same mark as I did.

I made my choice, but ended up regretting it. My choice destroyed me from the inside, eating me up. In the end I went to Hakeem once again. I told him, and he listened. He was angry because of my selfishness, but forgave me. He promised me a reunion with my heart, but only if I take on the task on guiding the next Okalani.

Now, you have finally appeared. I was with you ever since you were born, keeping an eye on you and keeping you safe. But my heart was weakened. I saw myself in you, saw the little child that was crawling on the ground. I didn't want you to endure the pain that I had. Once again, I was selfish. I gathered all my force that I had left, and my soul took a human form. I went to your parents and told them everything. I told them how to hide you from the Council, and they listened to me.

The moved with you to America. Hakeem found out what I did, and in rage, he stole all my powers from me. Now I am just a memory, a wondering soul, bound to wander this earth forever. 

I was unable to speak. I was really confused of the things she said. I didn't understand it at all.

I will always be with you, Yu Alexis. I am not allowed to talk, help or guide you, but I have always disliked the rules of the Council. In emergency, come and seek me.

And remember; The spark is not outside of you, it is born deep within you.

Her edges started fading. ''Wait!'' I reached out a hand, trying to holld her back, but my eyes widened when my hand went right through her. ''I don't understand! Who is Hakeem? Who is the Council? Unnie, tell me!'' She smiled weakly, and dissapeared. 

As soon as she was gone, my wrist started stinging again. The forest suddenly felt more intimidating. Everything started spinning, and black dots appeared before my eyes. Far away, I heard a voice calling my name.

''Alexis!''

A streaming light broke through the trees. Too much light, it blinded me. I tried to cover my eyes, but everything went white.

''ALEXIS!''