Chapter 18

Hello lovely readers...here is chapter 18.....hope you all enjoy it.....I literally poured my heart out into this book and I have written and edited and edited again this chapter so I hope it came out okay...

Happy Reading....

xoxox.....

THE carriage stopped outside an inn. James's footman opened the door and stood aside as he descended. He cursed the sun that shone brightly as he looked up into the sky squinting his eyes. The day had dragged on for far too long and the sun had shone just a little too hot.

In his black coat and tie he heated up and the longer he stood under it the more black his mood became. His footman assured him this was the only inn people stopped by briefly before continuing on to London.

He looked at the small humble building that was in need of a few thousand pounds and a fresh coat of paint. He proceeded to the entrance.

Madison had retreated to the kitchen when Alistair had come to seek her out. His keen eye to one's emotions was not something she was willing to be under at this moment. She had believed herself rid of the plague she called Baron but once again, he was still there with her. She began to wonder if he had made a pact with a witch to keep her from happiness for the rest of her days.

She still wore the dress Cassandra had made her purchase at her insistence even though she found it highly impractical. After she fled from Alistair she sought refuge in the kitchen where she swore she would remain for the rest of the day.

She stirred the pot and lifted the wooden spoon to her mouth, just then one of the servers dropped a silver platter which caused a sound so loud Madison's hand trembled causing the soup to spill down the front of her crimson dress.

Not being a woman who cussed or used the Lord's name in vain, she shot the boy a smithering look before marching out of the kitchen. This day was simply turning far more sour, Alistair's insistence on asking her about Baron, the conversation only resulted in darkening her mood.

She had already broken a nail and her hair had come undone when one of the guests children had run amuck around her pulling at anything she could hold onto. In Madison's effort to still the child, the cheeky girl caught hold of her hair and yanked it loose from its pins. It had flowed all the way down causing the women in the small dining room to give her scalding looks.

The make-shift braid she had plaited helped very little as now strands of her hair were flying about her face as she stepped quickly to find the comfort of her room.

Oooff, she stumbled backwards, strong arms catching her before she could completely lose her balance.

'Excuse me...' his words trailed off when he met her wide eyes staring at him, 'Madison,' he breathed. She quickly righted herself and tried to pull away from his grip but he had a firm hold on her. They stood there for moments staring at each other until a voice from behind Madison caused James to look past her and at the man who had now planted himself beside her.

'I suggest you release the young lady,' he spoke.

James looked from him to Madison and understanding came upon him. He released her and stood back. 'I see you have found another blithering fool to take you in,' he remarked. Pain coursing through his veins that she had disappeared but had remained ever so close. Why hadn't he have thought to ride out here and look for her? Ah yes, he had believed she had left of her own will and wanted nothing to do with him now that his mother no longer required her services.