Chapter 1 - Home

I've always lived a very fortunate life, wealthy family, great friends, good education and I went to university and became a surgeon. But straight after high school, my parents moved me across the other side of the country and it changed my life forever. I changed so much I wasn't the happy bubbly person I once was. Moving away from my hometown took a piece of me and I haven't been able to get that piece back. But now 8 years later I am coming home to my hometown and I couldn't be happier but I was also nervous. Was everything still the same or had it changed? My name is Khloe Ryan and I am 25 years old. Home is where my story begins and this is my story.

I finally get myself ready for work, I knew it would a bad idea to fly in last night and start work today. As I'm about to head out the door my phone rings I take a glance to see who is calling me, it's my mother probably calling again to try and convince me to come home. First time in my whole life she has cared what I was doing so why start now. I shove my phone back in my pocket and head out the door I don't want to be late.

I get to work and straight away I know it's going to be a hectic day, I'm getting stares from everyone. I put my head down and keep walking as I had a severe case to see. One of my long-term patients had transferred out here to continue treatment even though his condition was untreatable.

I enter the room and my patient Jay is pacing up and down the room. "Jay, what are you doing out of bed you need to be resting you have a massive surgery happening this week," I tell him. He replies "Khloe, I can't take it much longer I've been on bed rest of months now", "Come on please get into bed I can't have you putting too much strain on your body before your operation,"I tell him. He rolls his eyes at me and finally gets back into bed, I do a quick check on him and then exit the room. I'm still getting stares from people as I walk down the hall, you see I wasn't a nobody in this town I was well known I was the only child of two very powerful lawyers my family was loaded and everyone in this town knew it.

As I exit the hallway and sit down to rest for five minutes after an exhausting flight it's what I needed, I get a page it's a 911 Jay has to be rushed into emergency surgery. I quickly get up and rush myself down to the OR floor in hopes that Jay is fine. I check on him not long ago and he was okay, what had happened in the time I was gone. As I'm running down the hall I'm still getting stares from everyone and multiple people telling me not to run down the halls. I don't care I need to get to this surgery and ASAP.

I get into the scrub room and quickly scrub my hands I see this one person I don't know if he is a surgeon or a doctor he is throwing orders around like it's his patient. This is going to go down really well. I quickly exit and walk into the operation room and this guy is still throwing orders around he is an older guy and I respect all elders but he isn't really respecting me or the patient. I just stand there and listen to him rant and cross my arms sort of wait for him to notice me, but he keeps ranting so I interrupt him and say "Are you done?" he is taken back by my comment and has no idea what to say. He quickly replies to me rudely "And who are you?" I know how this is going to go down he is an arrogant ass. I say politely to him "I'm Khloe Ryan, general surgeon and this is my patient he transferred here when I did." He rolls his eyes he really does have a sucky attitude. He puts his finger to his chin I'm guessing he is thinking of something smart to say. He crosses his arms and replies "I'm Dr. Richard Wakefield, and I think your patient has no chance of surviving". I hate this guy already and I can tell him and I are going to clash. He just pissed me off. I replied back to him crossing my arms "I don't care what you think I still have an obligation to try and save this man's life and if you don't want to help I suggest you get the hell out" Everyone's attention was on me but I was only focused on Richard and he knew it. I was making him uncomfortable maybe his wife just lets him stand over him maybe he stands over everyone at the hospital.