Orion Star: The Great War

2096-2102: The Great War

As human's understanding of science evolved, so did the amount of their devices. Soon, most of the world's 9.5 billion population had implants in their brains, allowing them to access the web with only a thought. Unfortunately, the increase of technology led to the rapid decline of resources. Global warming melted the ice caps, leading to rising sea levels. Natural disasters tore through the surface, consuming even more of the scarce supplies.

Humans, always power-hungry, continue to strive for control. Even the democracies were deeply flawed. Alliances began to crack, leading to tensions between feuding countries. This led to worldwide paranoia. The cold feelings only grew over the next few years, until all-out war began.

It was the Communist countries against the republican ones, each trying to obliterate the other. Each side was ruthless, using everything in their power to gain the upper hand. The war raged for three entire years, leading to countless deaths.

The war was swinging from one side to the other, never really leaning towards one faction. That is, until the Communists developed a diabolical super weapon. They hacked into the worldwide Internet and downloaded a virus that targeted the implants in the human brains. In the span of an hour, the Communists had gathered at least 4 billion brainwashed citizens to their cause. They then turned their new army towards their enemies, desperate for the enemy's demise.

The Republicans were woefully unprepared for the new type of assault. They scrambled to raise a defense against the troops that had no minds of their own anymore. In one day, more than 4 billion humans had been destroyed. The Republicans did their best to stop the endless onslaught, but it wasn't enough. All of Europe had been overrun by the drones.

The Republicans retreated to their last safe haven, the Americas. They were surrounded by Communists, and even more innocent people were dying each day. Incredibly desperate, the Republicans convinced their top neuroscientists to play their last hope- genetically altering the minds of select humans.

Even though the risks were high, the scientists went to work on their specimens, rewiring their brains to process information in a new way, and to look at the world without the fear of killing others. They were creating psychopaths.

The war continued as it had for the past 4 years, raining death and destruction on the planet. The WARRIORs were ready to join the fight, and so they did. The minds of the WARRIORs were brilliant, and the war slowly swept back under control of the Republicans. The war lasted another year, until the Communists unleashed their last resort... nuclear weapons.

The planet was bombarded by explosions that erased entire cities. The death toll rose another billion while the last leg of the war played out. The WARRIORs finally outmaneuvered the Communists, but not before over half of the world's population had died. There were now only 3 billion humans left on the ravaged earth, struggling to survive the weeks that followed the apocalypse.

Slowly, the world began to heal itself at a slow rate. Cities were reconstructed. Houses rebuilt. Travel reestablished. Over the next ten years, civilization began to advance. Relief efforts from nearby colonies on the Moon, Mars, and asteroids in the Belt reached Earth to help reform the once great planet.

However, as technology advanced once more, humans showed their newfound fear of mental implants. They rebelled against any move to develop a device similar to the implants. The world continued evolving, but at a hindered rate. The world had been scarred deeply by the war, and it showed everyday in the pollution in the skies, the craters on the ground, and the ruins across the land.

Of course, their were the WARRIORs. They were a constant danger, for they only cared about themselves. To solve the problem, the reformed government created a battalion of robotic assassins to hunt down and kill all of the WARRIORs. They succeeded in killing all but one, who hid by marrying a human woman and having a child.