MAWUENA... God's Gift

Mawuena
Episode 1
By Nicholas Ankomah Anderson

Thank you all for your patience. God bless you.
Mawuena is a story about love, hatred, tribalism and politics. Sit back, relax and let this story educate you even as we prepare for elections in Ghana... Nicholas Ankomah Anderson always brings you the best...

Mawuena woke up from her bed and lazily walked outside. She lifted her eyes and stared at the cloudy skies. She wished the clouds would give way to the rains so she could avoid going to school. Her mother spotted her gazing in the skies. She called out to her and asked her why she had not taken her bath.

'Mama, I wish it would rain this morning...'
'so you can avoid school? I want to see you dressed up for school in the next ten minutes' her mother cut in.
Mawuena being a girl who hardly accept defeat retaliated.
'not what you are thinking mama. It has not rained in this town for two years now and our rivers are drying up. Farming is becoming difficult for you and dad and of course the people in this town. I only wish it would rain so we could have enough water for farm land cultivation and other stuffs'... Her mother felt embarrassed. Mawuena knowing she had conquered, smiled to herself. Mama Aku, her mother, asked her to go and bath before she gets late for school. Mama Aku entered the kitchen with some pride in her. She felt her daughter was right. They needed rain badly in the town. Mawuena entered her room. She sat on her bed and prayed for the rains. That was for her own selfishness, not the explanation she gave to her mother. Just as she was sitting and wishing for rain, she remembered something and abruptly stood up and rushed out of her room to take her bath. Her interest for school arose all of a sudden. It had to do with someone special she wanted to see in the school...

Efo Koku was sharpening his machete in the compound. He was humming a song titled 'I surrender all'. Mawuena joined in and sang the chorus very loud. Her father lifted his eyes and smiled to her.

'Mawuena, you are indeed a gift from God'...
The young lady was flattered. She smiled revealing her true beauty.
'are you ready for school?'
'yes daddy'... She replied
'go to my room, you know where to locate your money. Don't forget to take enough to buy the books you told me about yesterday'
'oh daddy, you are the best dad in the world' she said and rushed out of his presence. Efo Koku stared at his daughter till she vanished. He smiled and thank the heavens for given her such a wonderful and obedient child. He went back to sharpening his machete. Mawuena returned to her father and bid him good bye. Just as she was about leaving, he called her back.
'my dear, don't forget what I always tell you. Never ever befriend Akans. They are evil and witches. I really detest them' he spat out the words carelessly. Mawuena frowned at her father's advice. She always frowned anytime her father raised the issue of Akans but the man thought his daughter's frown had to do with the hatred she herself was feeling for the Akans. Efo smiled, thinking his advice was taken root in his daughter. Mawuena left the house after talking to her dad. She was very confused in her mind. She knew her father was very friendly but very serious when it comes to the things he detest. She knew it would be a disaster if she dare ask her father why he detest the Akan tribe so much. The more she thought about it, she get scared and angry at the same time. She was fallen in love with an Akan!

Agbito town was located between Volta region and greater Accra region. It had a population of about five thousand people. Their main occupation was farming. Aside farming, there was a sugar cane factory which processes sugar cane into sugar. Other inhabitants of the town had shops that sold everything that makes life easier in the town. There was a huge market for the market women. The market was were mama Aku had a shop. She was a dealer in African prints as well as stuffs from her husband's farm. The town was a mixture of tribes but it was the Ewe's that dominated. There were two government basic schools as well as two secondary schools in the town. One of the school was Agbito Senior High School where Mawuena was a form two student...