~Summer is Here

Tonight:

This is going to be the best night. Tonight is the kickoff of my fun filled last summer. I'm planning on making it my best summer. Starting it off with my best friend and hopefully a party.

We finally pulled up to our cottage, it was 6 o'clock, and I was dying to get out of the car after the thirteen hour drive. I opened my car door, immediately I smelt the lake. The sweet smell of the water and the sand, something about the lake makes it feel so homey. The sun was still up in the sky, probably going to set in an hour or two I stretched my legs out of the car, and My mom, being the nicest person in the world, loves to say hello to our neighbors, got out of the car with her floppy hat, and walked over to the Bates house on our right. Mrs. Bate was already outside coming to greet us.

The Bate Family:

Mrs. Bate is our loud obnoxious neighbor who loves all the new gossip. She means well, though. She's probably about 47, and is a health nut. She is obsessed with running and all the new diets, and her weight. She likes to flaunt herself around the beach. She's pretty much bone and skin, with some Botox, she has shoulder length dry blonde hair. I usually try to avoid the Bate house if I can. Once she entraps you with conversation, there's no getting a word in or escaping.

Mr. And Mrs. Bate divorced 8 years ago, and Mr. Bate usually comes and visits for the holidays. They have two kids, Kayla and Ryan, both are out of college. Me and Kayla are pretty close, so I hope she comes up this summer.

"Hello! Oh Eleanor, you look wonderful!"

They hugged, "Hi Dawn! It's so good to see you."

I was trying to hide behind the trunk and stuff my arms with bags, so I wouldn't be dragged into 20 questions for the next three hours. My dad was inside watching football or as he likes to call it "opening up the house." That was his way of avoiding chores and an earful of Mrs. Bates latest trends. So that meant I was in charge of unpacking. I had my purse and the backseat snack bag in one arm, and my Victorias Secret PINK duffle bag on my other shoulder, and was walking up to our house.

She saw me, "Bridget! Oh my goodness, Sweetie come here, and let me give you a hug." Did I mention she has a hint of a southern accent.

I pulled out a cheesy smile, "Hi Dawn." I walked over to her and she bear hugged me around the shoulders. Leaning down into her hug, I nearly dropped everything.

"You get ever more gorgeous every time I see you!" She finally let go. I tried to squeeze in a thank you but she interupted, "I bet you have all the boys lined up, chasing after you."

I wanted to roll my eyes, I hate when people say that, I just smiled at her and laughed, "Noo. Not necessarily."

She put her arm around me, as a term of endearance, and said, "Well we don't need men anyway." I tried to laugh.

My mom came over, "Bridgie, why don't you go finish putting away the bags." She could sense my desire to leave.I started walking up our stairs, even from inside our house I could still hear Mrs. Bate, "Have you met the new neighbors yet? They are wonderful!"

Our Lake House:

It's amazing how empty our house is until we unpack. All of our decor, sheets, everything is either taken home or stored away until we come back up. You walk up the stairs outside and open up the wooden double doors, to find our roomy house. All the houses are built up on stilts because of how high the tide gets at night. The floor is completely tiled, except for the bedrooms, and the walls are a sea foam green. The kitchen has dark wooden cabinets, with an island in the middle, stainless steel appliances. Our living room has a dark blue couch with white pillows, and a matching love seat, it's like a mini couch. On the right wall is the stairs leading up to my parents room, the guest room, and a couple bathrooms. To the left is my room. My room is made of my bed, a mattress, a white nightstand, a white dresser, empty closet, and my beaded curtains that reveal my glass door. I have the best view. My room is on the main floor, and when I open my curtains I have a sliding glass door that opens up onto our deck. I love keeping my door open at night with my curtains closed, and listening to the sound of the waves crash against the shore.