║Chapter Five: Mystery Man║

║Chapter Five: Mystery Man ║

I dropped everything running into the diner and I grabbed my uniform from the cubby as soon as I could get past busy people. It was what seemed to me like the breakfast rush hour. I pulled on my uniform in the bathroom as fast as I could and shoved my street clothes in the cubby.

I looked around the kitchen aimlessly; Blaze was nowhere to be found. I looked over to the sink where I'd been yesterday, but a short blonde girl stood at it. She was washing plates faster than a robot and I thought it was probably better she was doing it anyway.

I stood in the kitchen like a tree for about five minutes before someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around to see a girl with brown stringy hair, wearing a too-tight uniform.

"I know Blaze had you on dishes yesterday, but we're too backed up. We need you to be busgirl. Go grab roller skates from the cubby and get right to work." She said, panting. Everyone was always so busy and tired here. I guess that's just how work is.

"But I can't--" I was about to protest, but she was gone and now I had to do this. I slipped on the roller skates, knowing if I wanted to keep the job I needed to, and steadily got the grey platter.

I stood right outside the kitchen, looking out over the restaurant. It was packed, but mostly people waiting for an empty table. I saw about six tables full of dishes. It was my time to shine. Super Harper to the rescue! Yeah flipping right. I was going to drop this and embarrass myself in front of more people than the last time. There was no way this could end well.

I rolled my way out and looked across again. This would be fine, I just needed to take it slow. I put one foot in front of the other and stopped at the first table. It was a small one, set against the left wall. It only had one seat at it and you could tell it was a table meant for people who were alone--basically, me. 

I lifted the small plate that a muffin had once sat on, followed by the coffee mug and set them on the platter. So far so good. I had quite a bit of room left on my platter so I continued along. My feet moved almost without my encouragement and I never once felt as if I would fall. 

The next table was set for three, but the amount of trash and plates looked to be for about seven. I never understood why people couldn't throw out plastics in the garbage cans that were located in here right near the eating area. 

I sighed to myself and pilled the plates up. I left the garbage though, I could come back for it after. I carefully began moving again. One of my back wheels hit the other suddenly and I began to wobble. One foot gave way and I hung onto the platter for dear life, well , balanced it on my hand that is. One leg was behind me high like a dancer, the other bent low and keeping my balance. I was okay. 

"Nice save little lady." A voice from behind me said, smugly. 

I jerked around, sending the platter falling to the ground. A hand came from nowhere and lifted it up. I looked straight into the eyes of what felt like those of a hero. Then I saw his green sweater.

I took back the platter. "Oh my god. You're that creep from before."

He laughed and sat back down at the table behind me.

"Oh my god." He mimicked with a girly tone "You're that high girl from before."

I rolled my eyes and turned my back, starting to walk away. It was a good thing my job was clearing tables and not taking orders. I seriously didn't need to talk to him again.

I emptied my tray beside the sink and the girl washing the dishes gave me a cloudy smile. She immediately went back to work after I rolled myself back out with the tray.