grey

Grey.

That's all the long-legged blue toon could see.

The once cheerful, brilliant blue skies of Toontown Central had been replaced by a dull, cloudless grey, almost as if someone had covered the town with a sheet. 

Stumbling to her feet, the toon absorbed her surroundings. Had there been an ounce of activity, she might not have been as unsettled. But there were no butterflies, no fish, no toons. Even the playground's exuberant caretaker, Mickey Mouse, was nowhere to be seen. 

The toon decided that standing around wasn't going to help her situation, so she made her way toward the eerily still fishing pond, the grass feeling almost nonexistent beneath her feet. Her hand skimmed the surface of the water, only to come back out dry. Like the water wasn't even there. The toon had never felt an on-edge feeling to this extreme before. It was almost as if the grey sky was suffocating her, draining her of all happy feelings. Of any feelings.

She had to get out of here. 

She raced towards the nearest street, Loopy Lane. As she turned the corner, she felt herself falling, like the world had flipped on its side. 

And the grey sheet lifted, unveiling the familiar bright sky underneath. 

The toon slowly stood up, blinking to gather herself.

In the millisecond that passed between the swish of her eyelashes, the world broke.

There were toons everywhere. Lifeless, emotionless toons frozen in place. Staring at nothing. 

The toon tried to close her eyes to save herself from the horrible sight, but her eyes felt glued open. There was nowhere to hide.

Hollow toon shells where happiness once lived started to melt, breaking down into strings of code, merging with the apathetic grey sky. Chunks of the playground were missing, revealing the grey poking out from underneath. Eyes burning, the toon looked down to see her feet melting into the ground, taking one last glimpse of her broken world as she tumbled into the abyss.