st-tuttering

[one year after the events of season one]

[jonathan's pov]

"Hey, Nance, i-it's Jonathan... I-I was wondering if you, uh, wanted to, um, go to dinner with me Friday n-night? If not, that's totally okay, I mean I get that you and Steve just ended things... But, uh, would you like to go to dinner? With me?"

My mom gave me a blank stare.

"Too nervous?" I asked.

"Yep. You need to calm down, sweetie! There's no way she'll say no." My mom reassured me, packing Will and I's lunch boxes for the school day.

I sighed and grabbed my car keys and lunch box, "Okay."

I walked out to my car and hopped in, Will following close behind me, then drove off to school.

****

I found Nancy by her locker at the end of lunch.

"Hey, Nance, can I, uh, ask you something?" I said, scratching the back of my neck.

She smirked and I could already tell she had a snarky comment coming.

"Besides the one you just asked me? Sure." She said.

I took a deep breath and let it out.

"So you know how Benny's brother took over the diner and refurbished it and all?", she nodded, "Well I was wondering if you wanted to go with me Friday night, y'know, on a date or whatever, unless you'd rather go as friends! I, uh, yeah. So, do you want to go? With me?" I said.

Wow, Jonathan, you need to grow a pair and quit the stuttering. It's just Nancy, the girl you've been crushing on since forever.

Totally fine.

Nancy grinned.

"I would love to go with you, Jonathan." She said.

I grinned.

"As friends, right?" She said.

My grin faltered.

"I'm kidding, Jonathan! Of course, it's a date." She smiled, placed a kiss on my cheek, and walked off just as the late bell rang.

A date with Nancy Wheeler...

I must be the luckiest man alive.

•••
vote, comment, share, you know the drill :)