Chapter 2

The way she looked at me and that fact that I won't be able to do this for much longer made me jump at the chance to tell her about the poems. Kate has had an eventful 48 hours and I wanted something that would keep her happy. She hasn't looked at the good side really since she applied. She is only thinking about what she is leaving and not about where she is going.

That was all I could think about. I'm going to England for a break year to write. I need inspiration and she needs a plan. There is no way that I could tell her that I'm leaving. I planned it so I'm leaving in October. Long after she is gone. I couldn't leave first. I wrote about it in her book. That is why I cannot give it to her no matter how much I want to.

     "Let's do something else?"

     "Like?"

     "Like maybe go back to my place."

     "Hmmm maybe we should." She had this devilish glare in her eyes and I could tell she is thinking what I am thinking.

...

     The next day went to lunch at Panera.  She ordered first and I just ordered what she did.  I gave her the second part of the book so she would stop bugging me about it. 

     I loved just watching people read.  Especially when they are reading something I recommend.  I have never let anyone read my work. Ever.  I never think it is good enough.  Sure I write for English and my teachers always say it is amazing, but I never met people read my personal stories.  Until Kate.  Most of my better pieces were about her. 

     "What? Why are you staring?"

     "Not staring, looking."

     "Okay why are you looking at me so intensely?"

     "I want to see your initial reaction."

     "Well it is making me self conscious."

     "Sorry." I pretend to look at the book that was in front of me. I couldn't concentrate on anything while she was reading my stories.

     She finally put the book down.  The look in her eyes when she finished reading and looked at me told me everything.  I need to pursue this as a career.  If I can make even just one person feel like this I need to do it.

      "You wrote this the day you asked me out?"

     "No... I was sort of practicing."

     "When did you right this?"

     "Same day I met you."

    "No. You liar."

    "I tell the truth.  That is what you call love at first sight."

     "Wow..." she stared off into the distance. I knew exactly what she was doing. She was trying to remember that day. She wasn't going to.  That day was just a normal day until I saw her that day.  She distracted me and still does every day.

     "I wish I could show you how much I love you.  I wish I could show you my heart like you just showed my yours."

    "Yesterday was a pretty good way of showing it."  She turned pink and hit me on my leg from under the table. 

     "Jake, that's not what I mean.  I meant I that I wish I had your talent and I am very proud of you."

     "Well thank you very much ma'am."