Chapter 11

Suffer well. It wasn't a sentiment that Brigitte had spent much thought on...the Ebon Blade used it as a greeting, a phrase of solidarity and belonging. It had been offered up to her often since Thassarian had come for her, and it had seemed empty. But now, it seemed more than that. It accepted that she did suffer. It gave it weight and validity. It did not brush that part of her away, it accepted it and expected it. No empty platitudes, just understanding and support. She was going to suffer, she was suffering, so she ought to do it well. They were all suffering here.

But I don't want to suffer anymore. I've done it for too long. I want to live.

It felt as though a great burden had been lifted from her shoulders, a light dawning in her soul. She might be surrounded by those who did not live anymore, but Darion had saved her life so that she could live. And she had a lot of years left in her. Tirion was old enough to be her father...and he still fought, led, and carried the Light within him.

Tirion. No. Not was not a place to go now, not a place to go yet. She would approach her father-in-law on her own terms, in her own time. Right now, she belonged with Darion.

Her charger shifted his weight beneath her and she opened her eyes. It was a beautiful day in Northrend, high scuttling clouds creating random beams of sunlight moving across the grass. She was free. Equipped. And ready to atone for her sins, ready to go make a difference in the world again, but this time, for all of the right reasons.