Arriving in the Big Apple

"Soon we will arrive at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York." The voice of the stewardess wakes me up. I slowly open my eyes. The sun is already shining brightly through the little windows of the airplane. I look out the window beside me. Gigantic buildings are lying beneath us. I still can't believe I'm actually in New York.

"Finally awake sleeping beauty?" He smiles widely.

"You slept longer than I did, you know?" I laugh softly. "No I didn’t."

He moves his hand through his hair. "Sure Carter." I answer. "I'm happy I sat next to you and not next to someone else." He says with a real smile. I nod. I actually don't really know this guy, but his seat was next to the window and I asked him if I could sit next to the window because I love the view you get when you're up so high in the sky. And luckily he said it was ok.

"You’re cute when you sleep you know." He says with a smirk on his face. My whole face turns pure red. "Shut up!" He laughs hard. "By the way why are you going to New York?" He asks. "Finding a new life." I say while looking out the window. The buildings are getting bigger and closer with every second that passes. "What do you mean a new life?" He asks concerned. "Let's say I was done with the life I had back there." I answer with tears in my eyes. I quickly blink the tears away. "Ahh.. I understand." He holds my arm and squeezes softly. "You're strong and you're going to make it out there." He says. A tear rolls down my cheek. He wipes the tear away. "Really." I smile. "Thank you."

People are pushing to get through. Another elbow in my rib. "Ouch." "Sorry!" Someone yelled back, but she's already gone. I'm trying to get away from this chaos, but I don't really know which way to turn. I look around, trying to find a way out. I see an exit sign and a feeling of relief flows through my body. I push people aside with my suitcase and bags while walking towards the exit. People screamed at me several times, but I really don't care. I'm finally here. I search for a taxi. I wave to every taxi I see, but they all drive away. Finally someone stops for me. It's an old man with a kind face. A typical grandpa everyone likes. He smiles and takes my bags and suitcase. I step in the car. "Where do you want to go Miss?" He asks.

"Manhattan, Grand Central Station." I answer proudly. He laughs. "Someone is following her Big Apple dream." I laugh. "Yep. I am."

I look out the car window. I've been to New York Manhattan once before. I remember the feeling of home. My home. Of course I knew that the people who live here are rich and have really great jobs, but that doesn't mean you can't arrive with nothing. You just need to be strong and smart.

There it is. The Grand Central Station. It's a beautiful building. I remember being here with my family and being amazed by the architecture. "Here it is Miss.  That will cost 20 dollars please." I search for my purse. Finally I find it and I get 25 dollars out of it. I give all of it to the cab driver. "Thank you! Miss, you gave me too much." He says a bit confused. But I already exited the car. The old man quickly steps out of the car and gets my bags. "Thank you Miss." I nod with a smile. "Good luck Miss, but of course you won't need it, because I can tell you're a fighter, even though everything you've been through makes you feel horrible and sad." I look at him, shocked, but he already drove away. He was the second person who said that. Is it that obvious? Or do I have a sign on my back with my whole life story? I sigh. Now I need to find that one person. I look around, but I don't have a clue whom I need to find. "Miss Brooks! Ah you have arrived safely." A woman with a pencil skirt and her blouse all buttoned up stands in front of me. She wants to look strict, but she has a kind face what covers the whole strict attitude she's trying to personify . "Yes! I found my way and I'm so blessed to be here!" I answer happily. She smiles and shakes my hand. "I am Miss Hudson. I am your guide for now and one of the teachers of the University." I nod. "I heard you found an apartment for yourself and did not want to go to the school campus?" She asks. "Yes, I thought it would be a better way to learn how to survive and live in this big apple city." I answer enthusiastically. "Indeed! That’s an amazing idea! But if you ever need a roof over your head when things aren't going so well, there's always place here for you!" Miss Hudson says. I nod again. "Well the reason I did not want you to meet me at the school is because there are some important places you need to know in the city itself, because the school is also in the city. But first I will call someone to get your bags so he can bring them to your apartment already." "Okay." Miss Hudson walks away and calls someone. I take another look around. I look at my bags for a second. They are really full, because I did not want to let any clothing items go to waste back there. I just remembered I have no furniture in my new apartment, maybe some, but they won't live there for that long. I saved a lot of money so I could buy this ticket, but the money is also for all the furniture and other costs. Lets say I'm really short on money. I may well be living on bread and water.

Miss Hudson called a guy who will pick up my stuff. He's on his way. Now I can easily walk through the city without pushing people aside.

A loud klaxon of a car appeared. "Ah, finally you're here Carter. Hope you had a nice flight back home." Miss Hudson says when she sees the car. I‘m a little confused when I see the car, but yes it's true, it was Carter from the airplane. "Hello there Sleeping beauty!" He screams enthusiastically. My face turns red again. Great. "Oh! So you've already met?" Miss Hudson asks. "Yes we have. I sat next to her in the airplane." Carter answers, looking at me with a half grin on his face. Miss Hudson turns around and looks at me. "Yes indeed." I answer quickly. "Well that's great! Carter why don't you guide this young lady then and I will take her luggage to her apartment." Before I could even complain, Carter was already outside the car. I sighed softly. Don't get me wrong I am not disappointed, not at all! I am just worried this won't be a serious tour. So I will miss a lot of important facts about the area.