Chapter 4: Childhood Memories

I was nine years old. I was always alone, not much friends-- non at all really. I sat on my bed and looked out the window to see the little kids playing street ball. I looked back at the clown toy that always sat on my bed-- it never moves anymore. It use to, but I ripped the batteries out its back when I got it for my birthday. No one showed up to my party-- no one, but my parents and grandparents. I use to have an older brother, but he left a long time ago. My parents will never talk about him if I ever brung him up in a conversation. We use to play all the time, but he stopped coming around. He was always dressed as a black and white clown from a carnival, but that stopped happening a year ago. The sky started to blacken and the kids went inside their homes. I saw the street lights flicker off, it then turned back on and I saw a tall, white faceless person standing right in the middle of it. My eyes widen and I turned around to look at my bed and the clown moved. It was sitting on my pillow, but now it was sitting behind my back. I looked back out the window and saw the figure was gone. I ran downstairs to the kitchen where my mother was preparing dinner.

"Mom! I saw something scary outside and my clown moved!" I yelled in fear with tears falling out of my eyes. I held her apron close to my face.

"Nothing is there. Your clown didn't move. It's all in your head, Jester." she replied.

I looked up at her light blue eyes and said "Why don't you believe me?" She picked me up and kissed me on the forehead. I just blinked and waited for her to say something, but she stayed quiet. My silver eyes looked dead into her face. She put me down and I ran back upstairs to my room and waited for her to drag me out for dinner. I looked at the clown and it was sitting on my pillow like it always had. I walked up to the clown and grabbed it by its neck. Who gave me this stupid toy? I never gotten this from anyone who showed up at my party. My mother said she found it on the porch outside like someone leaving their baby. The toy came with a note, but mother wouldn't let me read it.

"Don't you love your toy?" A creepy voice said. I turned around my room to find nothing in sight, nothing but this stupid toy. I looked at it and opened up the window.

"You will hurt your brothers feelings." It said. It was near, I could hear it in my ear. I dropped the toy out the window and closed it shut. I looked back at my bed to see it still sitting in the same spot. I sat on the floor and cried. Evil thing get away! No one ever believes me. I sucked up my tears when I heard my doorknob turn. Behind the door was my mother.

"Why are you in the dark sweetie?" she asked. I walked out the darkness and into the light. I never answered her question, I just stayed silent. What do I say?