~Chapter 1~

"You worthless piece of shit, say goodbye to your home and money, Eli, because I'm leaving you." my father spat and then slammed the door after walking out. Those were the last words heard from my father.

I can't believe he left us. 

Especially when his wife has less than a month to live due to cancer. 

"Mom?" I asked, turning towards her. "Are you okay?" She was on the phone talking fast and sobbing her words out.

"Thank you, Julie. Thank you." she put the phone down and looked at me sadly. "Go pack your bags." 

"Yes mom." I sighed. I trudged to my bedroom up the stairs and started packing. I wonder how my mom will do, she was going to hospital this afternoon so she could get treatments to see if she could live, but there's an 80% chance she's going to die in a month. Tears pricked my eyes when I finished packing everything, leaving my bedroom deserted with only a desk, bed and closet left. I sighed and stared around. "Bye." 

"Your done?" my mom asked when she heard me coming downstairs. She was standing at the door tapping her foot and about to open it when I nodded. "Quick dear, get in the car. I have to go soon." she flashed her sad smile at me. 

I followed her out the door into our mercedes and lay my luggage in the back. "Where am I going, mom?" I asked when she was starting the car.

"You know Julie Taylors, right?" she looked at me for a second and I nodded, "we were talking, like you saw, and she insisted you could live with her since you won't have a guardian anymore, 'nor a house, I agreed. She even has a daughter in the sophomore class, the same age as you, 14! Kennedy is pretty I must say." I admired my mom, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Kennedy Taylors. Yeah. I guess she's pretty, but she's the troubled kid at our school. She always comes with bruises and acts emo. And she's pretty thin too." I stated, disappointed. 

My mom looked at me flatly. "Don't judge a book by it's cover, Eli, you should know that." for a second she looked angry but her face softened when she saw tears in my eyes.

"I love you." she breathed out when we stopped. 

"I love you too, mom. Good luck at the hospital." my bottom lip quivered as I tried to smile.

The door flung open after we knocked, showing a battered, bruised and frightened looking Kennedy.

"Kennedy, dear, oh my, he's worse than I thought." my mom slapped her hands over her mouth and leaped to hug her.

"Elizabeth, finally you're here!" Kennedy's mom smiled as she hugged my mom. "Hello Eli, this is Kennedy, she goes to school with you! I'm sure she'll show you around!" 

"Hey Eli." Kennedy said quietly. 

"Hey." I replied back and turned towards my mom.

"I have to go or I'll miss my appointment. I love you, Eli. Never forget that. Come visit me as soon as you can and as many times as you can, sweetie. You'll always be in my heart. I love you, never forget me." my mom sobbed as she hugged me. I hugged her back too. "I love you too, mom." I choked out.

When we broke apart, mom walked down, leaving me with my luggage, crying.

Kennedy patted my shaking shoulder as she whispered words of comfort, but when she did I saw a few cuts on her wrist.

I was pretty shaken, I must say. I didn't even care about the embarrasment that filled up in me, a girl seeing my cry. I didn't care about anything. Just my mom. Not even the bullies that will file up soon.