The House of Flickering Candles -Hades/Percy

Hades is unhappy when he learns of his brother’s treachery, frolicking around with a human woman and breaking the oath all three brothers swore on the River Styx. It is an understatement, but Hades is too weary to do anything more than huff at the moment.

But he is appeased this time, unlike when Zeus broke their oath the first time and bore a human girl as his child.

Poseidon names him godfather.

He stares down at the little boy in the crib, tilting his head curiously to observe the cherubic boy watching him calmly in the darkness. The mother is quietly sleeping, and his brother is moping about in his underwater kingdom. Probably agitated to be left with his screeching wife and boorish son. Well, at least Hades would be. Amphritite and Triton were like Alecto and the rest of his Furies on their worse days. No wonder Poseidon left them to be with the human woman and to have this little boy.

Then again, his brother is probably moping because he couldn’t be with the human woman and this little one. It is understandable. Though again, Hades reiterates that it is preferable to the alternative.

Zeus is still unaware for now, and Hades will keep his mouth closed for his newly named godson.

He vanishes into the shadows to reappear in his dark kingdom, bright and eerie sea-green eyes (so alike and yet too serious and solemn to be like his brother’s) branded into his mind.

Hades makes sure to keep his monsters in line, and to never go after his little one. The stupider ones are easily handled by Perseus, and he is more than pleased to see his godson so adept at handling himself. He wonders how his own son would react to Perseus, and hopes the two of them would get along.

When he first sees Percy, the boy is frightened and awed by his presence, but determinedly demands Zeus’ lightning bolt. He inwardly rolls his eyes, though he has a flicker of doubt in him about his other brother’s guilt and his godson’s supposed treachery. And then he goes back to being furious, and refuses to doubt himself any longer.

This is his godson, but he refuses to let him make a fool out of him.

He doesn’t say anything about his relation to the boy, but merely demands his godson to return his Helm of Darkness and to quit lying about the Master Bolt’s place in his backpack.

Percy is furious as well, but his face pales upon finding the Master Bolt right where Hades knew it to be.

He doesn’t reveal his responsibility to the boy, but offers instead a choice.

“You have three chances to avoid death, Perseus Jackson. Choose them well,” he solemnly advises.

Percy looks confuse, but escapes with the others.

When Hades finds out his godson was telling the truth after all, and his Helm of Darkness is safely back as promised by his boy, as a mark of good faith he returns Percy’s mother to him.

He feels Percy close to death, pit scorpion poison it seems, and he feels his godson hesitate, on the edge of desperation as he tries stumbling back to camp.