17

Ariana sat on her bed snuggled under her covers, waiting for Justin to call. She had light butterflies in her stomach and her pulse slightly quickened. She couldn't figure out why she was so nervous to talk this boy.

"It's only Justin." She whispered to herself.

Meanwhile, Justin laid against his headboard with one hand behind his head and his ankles crossed. Ariana had just given him her number to call. He went to the phone app and typed in her number. He pressed the green button, trying to hide his excitement. He was so happy to finally hear this girl's voice.

Ariana's phone rang, snapping her out of her thoughts. Letting her nerves get to the best of her, she let the phone ring twice before answering. She could hear his light breathing as they both sat in silence waiting for each other to start speaking.

"Ariana?" Justin spoke into the phone. His voice made her weak in the knees. It was smooth but rough at the same time. His voice was as soft as silk but still had a raspy side. "You there?"

"Yeah.. sorry I'm just nervous." Her voice came out quieter than she wanted it to. 

Justin smiled as he heard Ariana's sweet innocent sounding voice. "Why babygirl? It's just me."

"I know.. it's stupid." She shook her head and twirled the end of her ponytail. Hearing him call her baby girl with his actual voice, made it ten times better than it does when he texts her it. In the beginning, she told him to stop calling her by that nickname.. even though she secretly loved it.

She pulled her knees up to her chest and grabbed the nail polish next to her; and began painting her toes.

"So, what are you doing?" Justin asked as Ariana put him on speaker.

"Talking to you, duh." Ariana said with a playful tone.

"Don't get smart with me, little one." Justin lightly laughed.

"I'm just painting my toes. Nothing much." She shrugged forgetting that he couldn't see her.

For the rest of the night, they talked about memories they had from when they were kids. What they plan on doing in the future. They learned new things about each other.

Justin learned that Ariana wants to be a model, but she's only five feet tall.. so she could never do runway. He learned that she loves apples with Nutella and that one of her favorite movies is Bruce Almighty.

Ariana found out that Justin had two younger half siblings that live with his dad in LA. She learned that he loves to skateboard and he loves cotton candy ice cream.

It was the small things that they learned about each other that made them both happy. Even though they were one thousand, four hundred and eighty-four miles away from each other—they felt closer than ever.