#trickortreat2k16

Katy and her friends were sitting at their lunch table, talking.

"What are we planning to do for Halloween," asked Monica, a long time friend of Katy's.          

"Ooo! Let's throw a costume party! We can invite a bunch of people, especially boys!" Katy excitedly cheered, her hazel eyes shining with excitement.                  

"We did that last year, Katy," Monica sighed while rubbing the scar over her right eyebrow out of habit. "We should do something different."                          

"I heard there's a haunted house across from the park. It would be interesting to check it out," suggested Rosa, a student from Spain who had taken to the duo quite fast.                                

"But, but, that's scary! I don't wanna go to a haunted house!" Katy screeched.                              
"Oh come on Katy, everyone knows that the house really isn't haunted," Monica reprimanded.                                                                                                        "We don't have to go, Monica. It was just a suggestion," Rosa muttered, too shy  to actually speak up.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Katy exclaimed.                                                                             
"No, Katy, we should do what Rosa wishes to do for once, you always pick what we do. It's Rosa's turn," Monica pointed out.                                                                                                                    
"No really, we don't--"

"Yes we do, end of discussion," Monica decided. "Besides, won't it be fun to do something different for once." Rosa nodded her head in agreement but Katy whimpered out,                              

"What if the ghosts attack us? What if we die?!" Katy exclaimed

You're being dramatic," Rosa stated shyly, hiding behind waves of midnight black, "Monica did say that the house doesn't actually have any ghosts."                                                              
"Then why is it called haunted, then?"                                                                          "Who knows, Katy? But you might as well enjoy the time. It's fun to be scared every once in awhile, yeah?" Monica asked and with that, the conversation of what they were going to do for Halloween was over.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It was Halloween night, and instead of getting dressed up and throwing a party, Katy was preparing herself for exploring the haunted house over on First Street. Preparing herself consisted of: finding her cross, asking the pastor for holy water, and telling herself that she would not freak out for no reason and that, just as Monica told her, it was gonna be fun.

"Who are you talking to Katy?" a voice interrupted the girl. Katy turned around and saw Monica, dressed as a zombie, and Rosa, dressed as a werewolf, standing in her doorway. The startled girl smiled at her friends.

"Oh, no one, just mentally preparing myself for tonight. I thought I was saying all that in my head. I guess not," Katy replied, nervously pulling on her golden hair. Rosa frowned and Monica rolled her emerald green eyes.