Chapter 1

Armen's point of view-

My eyes fluttered open, myself immediately met with an aching pain gnawing at my skull. I groaned as I turned my head, my brain slowly becoming used to consciousness.
My hands clawed at the mattress underneath myself as I looked around the room. It was definitely my own bedroom, with the same old confined space, same old bookcase, same old chest, same old single paned window. My closet was small with little clothing inside. It was a bit stuffy but bearable to breath in.
My head turned to look out of the window. It was still dark outside, with the forest trees just outside my bedroom. It was ominous and sometimes quite unsettling. The leaves swayed back and forth in the early morning breeze. I took in one last deep breath and let it out as I laid back down on my mattress that hugged my body.
I looked down at the small dresser by my bed, looking at the hands on the old red clock that was on top of it. The ticking sound it made was the only sound I could hear other than my own thoughts. It was about a half hour to six-o'clock, the usual time that I have to get up to get ready for school.

Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

The sound was getting to my head, irritating and making the pounding in my head slightly worse.
My head shook before I closed my eyes, trying to sleep for the half hour I could before I had to get to get ready for school. I don't even remember what day it is, but I'm pretty sure that it's Monday. I growled with my fingers twitching at the fact. I don't want to go back to that place. I don't want to go face to face with the bullies and pain all over again. I should be used to it by now but that does not diminish the fear and dread.

Tick-tock. Tick-tock. Tick-tock.

Finally I decided to sit back up, growling with the knowledge that I wouldn't be getting anymore sleep for awhile now. I rubbed my tired eyes, yawning as I stood up on my feet. I stood for a moment until my head stopped pounding and I stopped swaying on my feet. I blinked a few times until my eyes once again had to adjust to the setting of darkness.
I began to sluggishly walk to the wooden door of my bedroom. I opened it slowly, my heart pumping as it let out a loud squeaking sound that made my blood run cold. Hopefully it didn't wake dad up.
The door opened into another small room similar to my own. No one slept in it, as my dad preferred to sleep upstairs, but the room never seemed to get filled with dust. I walked over to the other door and opened it, stepping into where the living room and kitchen turned into one within the massive, old room.
The place was a bit stuffy, and the roof had some spots that my father had repaired a while after we had moved in. We had moved in about three months ago and throughout our whole time here, we were not exactly welcomed. Not with my father's bizarre occupation.
I stumbled over to the refrigerator, grabbing the handle of the door and swung it open. There wasn't a light inside and it was a bit dark in the room, so without seeing much I reached in and grabbed whatever my fingers wrapped around. I retracted my arm, my vision adjusting and looking down at the bright red apple in my palm. It's alright for breakfast, I suppose.
I took a bite, chewing it as I sat down at the counter between the kitchen and empty living room. I didn't have a mother that would clean the house or worry about how the house looked. We had no couches, no pictures on the walls, not even a rug on the floorboards. My dad was always so focused on his job that he never cared what the house looked like as long as everything was sturdy and it was able to keep us warm in the winter. All of our money went into funding his work.
My mother, I never knew. My dad hates talking about, and in fact I'm not even sure if he's ever told me about why she's not around. I think she died after giving birth to me... I tried not to dwell on thoughts about my mother. I didn't want to drag myself into some mental crisis.
My ears perked up and back straightened as I heard the sound of an opening door. My eyes widened as the door to our basement opened, it's location being just underneath the staircase. A figure familiar to me stepped out slowly, not noticing me as he closed the door slowly.
His clothing consisted simply of blue jeans, grey shoes, and a light blue tank top. His brunette hair was longer in the back, reaching to the end of his neck while in the front it reached below his ears. There was stubble on his chin, and his body build was not particularly muscular, but was not that scrawny either. His skin was more pale than I had seen on any human being, even more so than my own skin. His eyes were abnormally different in their hue. They were silver, almost giving the impression that he was blind but after looking at them for a few seconds, that impression became obvious that it was faulty.