Chapter 4

I cannot believe that she called social services. You cannot do that to people.  

"What! Why?" I exclaimed. 

"Yes I called them. I could figure out what was going on because you always came into school with bruises and cuts. Miss.Waters, it was quite obvious." She tried to explain. 

"No. Not really. What about my mother? Where is she going?" I asked franticly.  

"I am terribly sorry. Your mother has to stay. There is nothing I can do about that." she told me.  

I began to sob uncontrollably. I'm sorry I cannot handle this. All this time I put up with my dad for all those years to keep my mom safe, and now, I am being sent away to where I cannot protect her.All because of me, my mother is going to be left behind with my father. That lady just made the biggest mistake of her life. I dropped my bag and the contents spilled to the floor; I didn't care though I just ran out of the building. People gave me weird looks on the way. I ignored them and ran to the Park across the street. I sat on the swingset and cried. I heard someone approach me and sit in the swing next to me.  

"Hey Julia." He said to me.  

"I'm sorry Chris. I over reacted, I shouldnt have run out of the school like that. It was rude and immature I'm sorry." I said as I got up and walked away.  

"No. Stay here I want to talk." he began to say. "So, I hear that social services were called. I am incredibly sorry for that."  

"Wait, how did you know social services were called?" I asked him. 

"I'm sorry Julia. I had to, I couldn't stand to see you get hurt like that. I know it was stupid and rude; and I probably shouldn't have done that but-" He tried to say. 

I stormed off in a rage and left him at the park. I walked slowly and solemly to my front door. However, I didn't hear the usual screaming and arguing; it was quiet. I unlocked the door and inside were two men in black suits.  

"Miss.Waters, I presume." the one said to me.  

"Yes? And you are?" I asked them.  

"Oh, yes. We are men who work with social services. We heard about your perdiciment and wanted to check it out. When we got the call we came right away. Now, if you haven't been able to tell, your stuff is already packed for you, courtesy of your mom. Please pack any sentimental items that you may want for the journey." He said to me and shooed me off. 

My mom came into my room a few moments later. 

"You know, that Chris boy, he's a real keeper." She told me. 

"Yea. If I ever get to see him again." I said to her, fighting off the tears. 

"You will sweetie. Now remember my rule." She started. 

"No crying. No need to mope about the past." I finished for her. 

We began walking to our front door when she spoke to me again. 

"You know why sweetheart?" She asked me. 

"Why?" I really wanted an answer.  

"Because it's stupid. And its useless. What are you going to do if you carry the past with you? You'll sink, that's what." She said to me as I walked out the door for the last time.