Chapter One

Note: Their names are numbers so that isn't a mistake.

Six identical boys entered the white room one after the other. They formed a circle around the table with a body on it. Their black hair was cut short and their silver eyes were piercing. Sixth bit his tongue to stop the rising urge to yawn.

The room was circular, empty and painted white. The roof above it had once been removed and placed higher so the walls could be taller. The first half white and the second was tinted glass. Behind the glass, the humans, Sixth could see, their figures as they craned forward.

It had been a week since they had their...entertainment. It had been Fifth who relished in testing their patience. He would laugh, pass his fingers through his hair and shrug whenever he was questioned on who he would bring back. The others liked to do it quickly. Their thirst for human blood was stronger and harder to control.

Unlike Fifth, the others would stick to their preferences and only adjust it slightly for Sixth or for the humans.

"A female would have been better," Third suggested. He stepped back with a wry smile.

"If he was alive and young, he would die for immortality," Fourth said and stepped back. The man before them had been young and handsome once, but his youth had left him years ago. His body was covered in wrinkles and warts and not even a single strand of hair remained. His skin, alongside the few teeth he still owned, were both yellowed. Sharp teeth like those of fangs had pierced the man's skin.

"I can't believe that I thought I'd like this," Fifth said, took a step back and covered his nose, and suppressed a gag.

First placed his hand next to the dead man's mouth and said, "if he could eat with me, I would have him," and stepped back.

"The dead doesn't speak," he said, his lip pouted and stepped back.

Sixth looked at the man and smiled, "then, is he mine?" They shrugged to one another and stared blankly back at Sixth.

"I can try then, can't I?" Sixth asked. They all nodded and Sixth repressed the urge to giggle. The other Rapax's craving for human flesh was always satisfied, but his wasn't. At nights, drool wet his pillow and his stomach wouldn't be silent.

He lifted the man from the table and dragged him towards the trolley that was set out for the boys ahead of time. Making it to the cart, he hefted the body inside with a thump that echoed in the tight room. With wheels squeaking, he guided the trolley from the room and disappeared into the corridor.

Sixth licked his lips. He lifted the man's shirt and delved his teeth into his skin. Blood poured into his mouth, and, like a reflex, Sixth spat the blood out. He clawed at his tongue. His voice was carried through the corridor and back into the room.

Sixth rolled the trolley back into the room and left it beside the table. The man did not fit any of their preferences. His death and life were meaningless to them. Sixth took his place with Fifth and First. First led them out.

When they were out of sight of the onlookers, the boys all looked at Sixth.

"What was it?" Fifth asked.

"He..." Sixth began," he..."

"Sixth doesn't know what satisfies his cravings like we do." They all shifted their gaze to the ground.

Then Fourth spoke, "there is always the next time." Fourth turned away from them, placed his hands in his packets and walked away.

"I'm going to see someone, Sixth. She has a sister I can introduce you to," Third offered. Sixth shook his head.