Chapter 1

Alex's POV

Sitting in my favorite chair in the tree house, I have my feet up on a table sharpening and cleaning a knife. Everyone else was doing their own tasks on hand to pass some time around before we decided to head into the town to go get wasted for the night. My knife was showing my reflection perfectly on the blade. Putting it back in the sheath, I rested it on the belt where it always is.

Although I use a musket, a sword and a few knifes are essential for survival in case you get too close into my personal space. I was the team's musketeer, I had a musket made specifically to my needs from a smith, a short sword, and then two knives that were either on my belt or in a boot.

Just then Aubrey walks in. She was our archer. She had her sheath on her back full of arrows indicating she was ready to leave for the town. Unlike me, she only carried her bow, a short sword and one knife. Her bow was made from the finest wood in the kingdom, a treasure of its own.

"That's your fifth time cleaning that blade," She says pacing around the table.

"Well, I'm waiting on those two to hurry up and get ready to head to the town," I explain

"If we keep waiting you can take that knife and clean your face up," she says sitting in the chair across from me.

"I was thinking of letting the local barbers do it, you know, keeping local business in town," I say scratching my growing beard.

"No you don't, you shave every third day unless you get lazy like you have been. I know you," She said leaning back and throwing her hood over her head. Thinking she wasn't focused on me I make a funny face only to find her knife flying under my legs and landing in the chair.

"This was my favorite chair," I say sadly.

"You shouldn't have made that face," she says still not moving.

"I thought you weren't paying attention to me," I say reaching under my leg and grabbing the knife pulling it out.

"I've been paying attention to everything you do ever since our parents died as kids, who else is to keep you out of trouble," She says looking up at me.

Rolling my eyes, I look out the window where a bird sat in its nest over it's eggs waiting for them to hatch, then I look back at Aubrey.

"What ever, they're big kids now. They can meet us in town if they want to get wasted," I say fairly loud so they could hear me.

"So you and I are going?" She asks as I stand up.

"Yes, lets head to town," I say looking at her.

"Great, its a date." Aubrey says grabbing my arm interlocking it with hers.

We start walking to the stairs leading down from our house within the trees where our horses are at in their own space. Aubrey and I saddle up and start heading to town, although drinks were on our list. There would be more to do such as the dances in the town square. Those were something she liked to do. Before it gets out of sight I look back at the house to see if they were running to catch up but it didn't seem that way.

"Hey," She says. "Stop focusing on them and focus on me, this is a date after all."