Ally or Foe?

Adelaide looked over Marius. He was unlike anything she had seen or heard of. If he was indeed the beast, he was not horrifically deformed, as many of the villagers said the beasts were. In fact, his eyes seemed to have an almost human quality to them.

"You are from the village. A red riding-hood."

"Yes. I am on my way to the prince's manor."

Marius's laugh was low and gruff.

"Why do you laugh?" She was puzzled.

"No reason at all."

"Perhaps that wound has you a bit delirious. Mind if I help?" Adelaide took a step forward. Marius recoiled and growled. "I have no desire to harm you."

He relaxed and let her come closer. She gently started to fiddle with it, trying to work its release.

"Were you being hunted?"

"Yes, but not by a huntsman. There is a witch that lives in these woods. And she is not very fond of my kind."

"A witch?"

The metal clamp released its hold on Marius. Adelaide reached for her waterskin and poured water over the fresh wound. Marius growled.

"That stings!"

"Well, you are lucky it isn't broken. Hold still."

Adelaide continued to clean the wound and Marius snarled and winced. When she was finished, she ripped a strip of red fabric from the bottom of her riding hood and wrapped Marius's wound.

"That should keep it clean til the skin scabs." she smiled and admired her work. Marius stood. His leg was tender but he could at least bear weight.

"Thank you. It has been a while since someone has shown me such kindness."

Adelaide gathered her things back into her basket. "Thank you for not eating me with that big mouth of yours," she teased.

"The day is still young." His amber eyes seemed to smile.

"Well then, perhaps that is my cue to continue on." She brushed off her dress and affixed her hood over her head.

"May I accompany you for a bit?"

"That would be lovely."

Marius helped Adelaide find the path. Both walked in silence for a while, feeling the other out.

"Why would a witch be trying to harm you?" Adelaide broke the silence.

"I know her secret."

"Oh."

Marius walked ahead of Adelaide by a few paces, then turned and stopped in front of her. "I promised myself I was going to give up trying to save you."

"Save me?" Adelaide was surprised and confused.

"You red riding-hoods. I have watched for years the selected girls from your village walk this path so fixated on the dreams of meeting your suitors that you ignore all warning."

"What warning?"

"Many years ago, the king came down from the manor and entered into these woods to hunt game. When he began the return home, he came across an old woman who would not let him pass with out paying her a tax. His father laughed at the notion of paying tax to a woman who lived on his land. It did not matter to her if she owned the land or not. She was offended and cursed the king and his family to roam his land as the game he had hunted."

"And what did he hunt?" Her voice was low.

"A wolf."

Adelaide was annoyed."You are not funny Marius."

"I am not trying to jest you Adelaide." There was an edge to his tone.

"If what you say is true, then that would mean there is no prince waiting at the manor. But then who sends the invitations to our village each harvest? And where do the girls go? Where does the gold come from?"

"Adelaide, I promise I am not lying. Your village elders send the girls to the witch at the edge of the forest. It is their tax to keep her from cursing the village with sickness and famine. The ball and the suitors are all just a lure."

"But the gold? It makes no sense for this witch to tax my village and then send money? It's absurd."

"The girls are more valuable to her than gold. It's worth the price to keep up the illusion."

"How do the families knowingly send their daughters to a slaughter?"

"I can't answer that. Perhaps they can rationalize sacrificing a few to save the rest."

"I do not believe you! How can I trust that you are not just trying to lure me into a trap. Perhaps you are trying to bring me home as a meal to your family!"

"My family is gone," he growled, "either hunted by men or fallen prey to the witch. I am all that remains. I am the prince."

"Liar!" Adelaide's chest was heavy. Was there anyway this could be true? Her head began to spin. If it was, it would make sense why none of the girls have ever returned. The conversation she overheard her father having with Dilys replayed. Was this the "tax" he was talking about?

"What could she possibly do with five girls?" Adelaide asked.

"She uses them to bring back her youth. Unfortunately, the spell fades."

Adelaide pushed past Marius and continued on the path. "This is completely absurd."

"See! This is why I stopped warning you red riding hoods. Your heads are so far up in the clouds about princes and suitors you don't care you are walking to your death!" he growled.

"But if this is true," she choked up, "that would mean my father..."

Everything started to spin. Adelaide fell to the ground and sobbed into her hands. Marius had never seen a Red Riding Hood react so strongly. He nuzzled her hands.

"Please don't cry."

Suddenly, Adelaide's arms were wrapped around his neck, her hands tangled in his black fur. Her sobs shook his body. He could feel her loss and it seeped into his. He began to howl.

After the tears and the sobs subsided, Adelaide stood up.

"I have to end this." She started to gather up her things.

"The elders won't let you back in." Marius rose with her. "They have guards watch for any girls who return and lead them back to the group or do away with her if she protests."

Adelaide understood now why she received her Red Riding Hood late. One of the girls must have tried to come back.

"I'm not going back. I can't let this happen to any more girls in my village especially my little sister. I have to finish what my father started."

"It is too dangerous. You can't beat the witch." He snarled.

"I have to try. Come with me." Adelaide leaned down and held his face in her hand. She could see the fear and worry cloud his amber eyes.

He pulled away. "I can't. She's too strong."

The warmth she had felt with him as he let her cry with him iced over with his act of cowardice.

"You are no prince."

Her words cut Marius deeper than the steel trap that nearly took his leg.

"You are a fool and you will die!" He growled back.

Fine! I will find a way myself." Adelaide did not look back as she started down the path.

"Fine!" Marius growled again watching her walk away.