Eat My Dear

Adelaide didn't know how long she walked

Adelaide didn't know how long she walked. The last trace of orange sky was replaced by a dull grey. She hugged her riding hood tight against her to keep the chill off.

Up ahead she could see a yellow glow between the tree trunks. It had to be the cottage. The small shanty seemed warm and welcoming. Surely a home of a witch would be in complete disrepair.

She thought of Marius and how she wished he was by her side. He made her feel safe and warm when reason said she should be fearful of the wolf. Perhaps he was right that she could not defeat the witch.

Before she could knock on the door it opened. There stood a feeble woman in a night gown with a grey knot at the top of her head.

"Hello my dear. I've been waiting for you." The woman's voice was gentle.

"Sorry I am late."

"You are fine, you are fine. Come in out of the cold. I have a nice fire and a warm meal prepared for you."

Adelaide thanked her and followed her inside. The cottage was one large room divided into sections. A modest table stood in front of the hearth and beyond there the kitchen. In the far corner of the room was a bed, turned down, and ready for its guest.

"You can call me Granny. All my guests do." She smiled and took Adelaide's basket, motioning for her to sit down at the table.

Adelaide untied her riding hood and placed it on the chair next to her. "Oh my!" Granny exclaimed. "What ever happened to your riding hood? The hem is torn."

"I came across a wounded wolf. I used part of my hem to mend his leg." Adelaide decided not to share that the wolf could speak.

"You have to be very careful dear. Those wolves can be tricksters. They will do anything to make you their next meal!"

Granny grabbed a plate and spooned stew onto it. "Here dear. You look famished. Eat up."

Adelaide accepted the plate. It did not look like any stew she ever had. "What is this meat?" she poked at it with her fork.

"Rabbit." responded the old woman.

"And what is this?" Adelaide held up her fork with a bulbous sponge on the tip.

"A mushroom dear. It's a family recipe."

Adelaide put the fork to her mouth and touched the tip of her tongue to the food. A strange tang made her pull it away.

"Not hungry dear?" Granny was watched her closely.

"I'm afraid so. It has been a long day."

"Surely you can take a bite or two to appease an old woman? I did spend the day preparing this for you and it is a shame for it all to go to waste."

"Of course not." Adelaide hesitated as long as she could then put the food into her mouth. Something wasn't right. The taste, the texture, the smell. Her stomach fought to keep it down.

"Did the wolf speak to you?" Granny asked.

The tightness returned. Adelaide didn't know if it was because of the food or the mention of Marius. Something told her to lie.

"No. What a crazy notion!" She laughed nervously. Granny raised her brow.

"Not a word?"

Adelaide shook her head. Granny's appearance seemed to change. Her warm countenance seemed to melt into something more harsh and rigid. Without word, she stood, took the plate, and threw it into the sink.

"I will fetch some herbs for tea." The once feeble woman moved now moved swiftly out the front door.

Curious, Adelaide looked around the cottage. Odd trinkets hung all over the room. A certain necklace caught her eye. It looked like the one Gerdy Henches had been wearing a few weeks ago when she left for the manor.

She recalled Marius's words and a panic settled in. The door blew open and Granny came in with the herbs. She smashed them into a cup, retrieved hot water from a pot over the fire, and poured it over them.

"Drink up." she beamed.

Adelaide took the cup. She noticed Granny now wore a sheath and knife on her hip. Her heart sank when she recognized it as her father's knife. A lump caught in her throat.

"Are you sick dear? Drink up!"

"Oh, sorry. I was just admiring your cottage and how comfortable it is." Adelaide took a deep breath. It was now or never.

"To welcome all my guests my dear." Granny replied.

Adelaide stalled.

"And how lovely all your trinkets are," she said

"Gifts from all my guests, my dear."

"And what a extraordinary knife you wear."

"The better to kill guests with, my dear."

Before Granny could react, Adelaide tossed the hot cup of tea into her face, pulled the knife from the sheath, and plunged it into Granny's chest.

The witch shrieked and shriveled into a stewed pile of cloth and bones.

Stunned, Adelaide grabbed her red riding hood and her father's knife. She stepped out into the dark and headed back into the woods.

She had only taken a few steps when she tripped over a naked human body. She scurried back and held the knife out in front of her.

The body groaned and stood up. "Adelaide?"

She studied the man's face. Amber eyes stared back. She looked down and saw a red wrapping on his leg.

"Marius?" she smiled.

"What happened? The last thing I remember was running to catch up with you then everything went black."

Marius legs wobbled. Adelaide caught him and leaned him against a tree then covered him with the red riding hood.

"I killed her."

Adelaide held up her father's knife. "I kept my promise. My little sister is safe."

"You have the courage of a queen." He smiled and took a step towards her.

"Thank you for the warning." Her eyes locked on his. "And thank you for coming to help me."

"It is I that should be thanking you." He cupped her face in his hands and planted a soft kiss on her lips. "I do hope you will allow me the privilege of thanking you every day."

She blushed. "I would like that very much."

Adelaide put Marius's arm around her shoulder to help bring her suitor back to the village.