Chapter 22

#WIAE Chapter 22

It had been over a week since I started living with the Dieux, but I still felt out of place... Not that it mattered, because I really didn't plan on staying here for too long. Once everything had been taken cared of, I would be gone. I never really liked this place, and I was certain that I would never come to. Everything about this place screamed danger... Hindi ko nga alam kung bakit tingin ng mga magulang na mas mapapabuti ang mga anak nila dito.

And whenever I'd see Avo on the halls, he'd only look at me briefly before proceeding with whatever he was doing.

"Who are you?" I said as I continued looking at the picture on my hand. Ilang ulit ko na itong tinitignan pero hanggang ngayon, wala pa rin akong ideya kung sino ang tao sa larawan. I was sure that Oli and Avo were in the picture. Kahit nakatalikod sila ay makikilala ko sila... What was killing me was not knowing who the other guy was.

Tahimik akong nakaupo sa damuhan habang naglalaro iyong mga kaklase ko. We were having our PE class right now. And as a Dieux, I had the privilege to skip the playing part. There was too much skin contact. At nung akala ko ay nakaligtas na ako, nakita ko na naman si Night na papalapit sa akin. I immediately stood up and began walking the opposite direction. I didn't want to talk to him. Kagaya nga ng sabi niya, he was doing nothing but to mess with my head.

He was not only a psycho, but also a devil's advocate. I was sure that he's having all the fun in the world lalo na ngayon na halos wala ng araw na tahimik sa bahay ng mga Dieux dahil kay Ella.

Naglakad lang ako ng naglakad. I was slowly becoming comfortable walking outside alone... Maybe comfortable was too strong a word. But it was a start, at least. Nakakalabas na ako kahit papaano. And the necklace Sandra gave me provided some kind of assurance. Na kapag napahamak ako, someone would come to my rescue.

While I was enjoying my peace, bigla kong nakita si Avo. He was walking and people were going out of their way to make way for him. He just held that kind of authority. At ako naman... sinundan siya.

I hated it when he talks to me... but I hated it more when he ignores me. Maybe because he made me use to his attention. And now that he's pretending that my existence was null, I was suffering withdrawal.

Hindi ko alam kung saan pupunta si Avo pero sinundan ko siya. I was clutching on my necklace the whole time. May magkamali lang talaga na humawak sa akin ng walang pahintulot ko, I'd raise hell.

Pumasok si Avo sa isang maliit na building. He swiped his ID and it opened. I was hesitating if I'd follow him... but what was the use of me revealing my true identity if I wouldn't be able to take advantage? Kaya naman pumasok na rin ako. And it was just a huge room... with TV screens everywhere.

"Shit," I whispered to myself.

Realization hit me. It was really fúcking one of them who rigged the CCTVs that night. It was all pre-planned. The assault was pre-meditated. Bigla na namang bumalik ang galit sa puso ko.

I took a step forward. I looked at the screens. Every part of AdM was covered... and yet every time something happened to me, suddenly these cameras were of no use. Napakuyom ang kamao ko dahil dito. They're really messing with me.

"What are you doing here?"

Napatigil ako sa pag-iisip dahil kay Avo. He was standing in front of me. Hindi agad ako nakasagot. What was I to say to that? Na sinusundan ko siya? And that I just learned that one of his friends was behind the assault that pushed me to kill innocent lives?

"I..." I trailed. "I was checking the exclusive places for Dieux."

I didn't know if he believed my lame excuse, but that was the least of my concern now.