Chapter 1

I sat staring out the window of my new flat. Absently behind me I could hear my grandfather calling my new name. Though I wasn't sure if I was ready to let go of all of the things being "Lavi" entailed. Being an exorcist, helping people and seeing Lenalee, Allen and Yuu everyday, or ever again.

"Jason!" Bookman shouted.

Unlike in the past when I shed a name and adopted a new one it only took a few days to get used to it, but this time "Jason" seemed like someone else entirely. I still felt like "Lavi" the exorcist.

I still found my hand moving to my left thigh where my innocence used to sit everytime I heard a gun shot or a scream.

I didn't know if I ever could learn to turn a blind eye to someone in trouble.

"Jason, if you don't leave soon you will be late! The kind folks at the achives would not appriciate it if you were late.

Jason, yes I was Jason now. Jason who had a boring desk job in the Asian archives sorting books and taking in information always that was my job as a bookman's successor. It wasn't a very exciting job but it was something to do.

There was another bookman apprentice working with me, a girl I didn't know. Her name in this life was Taiya.

Absently I stood and went to the bathroom. I removed my eyepatch. My now sewn shut eye that I had lost as a child would be terribly out of place in the achives. As an exorcist it wasn't out of place to wear an eyepatch but as a desk worker in the accords I would attract some unwanted attention. I ditched the eyepatch and combed my long red bangs over my right eye.

Instead of my exorcist jacket I wore long plain parchment robes.

It was the standard uniform at the achives.

The Asian archives were all of the libraries all over the Asian contienent that held books with "the hidden knowledge of Asia". My job was to gather all of the information I could so when I wasn't restocking shelves or checking out books I was talking to others who worked at the achives or reading the various books.

I put on my outer robe and tied a black headbands around the middle of my head to hold my hair in place.

"See ya' panda," I laughed as I dodged an attack from Gramps before ducking out the door and onto the busy streets of China.

I was in a hurry so I decided to take a few back alleys. While going down a rather large and dingy alley a scream broke through the air. I spun around to see a girl trapped up against a wall with a level one akuma above her. My hands clenched into fists at my sides. I knew a simple archives worker would simply run away and leave the girl. I knew I couldn't do that. Even now when I walked the streets anywhere, I was suspicious. I knew some of thosee people were akuma. I knew they would kill many people and now I couldn't do a single thing about it. But I could do something here. Jason or really more like Lavi at this point hurtled a rock at the akuma.

"Hey akuma!" I screamed, "this way!" the akuma followed as I reached for my hammer only to come up with a handful of my parchment robe.

I ran as far as I could, leading the advancing akuma away from the defensless girl.

I dodged out of the way of the akuma's lithal bullets. I slipped and fell right in front of a pair of women's shoes. The shoes were red heals and had a red band circling each ankle. Even before her voice called out I knew exactly who she was.

"Innocence activate!" her voice called. her red shoes turned into dark red boots with three bands around the ankles. A pair of dark red butterfly wings sprouted out of the back and she was gone in the air within seconds. Two more pairs of feet ran and jumped into the air. One pair belonging to a younger man the other to a taller man. They both cried the previous phrase. There was an explosion behind me followed by footsteps running over to me.