Chapter One

Outside Outpost Forge, Ravina, February 19, 225, 2300 Hours

Private Cocolan "Coco" James trips over a rock and stumbles into the tree closest to him, causing crows roosting on the tree's branches to take to the air in surprise. All except one, which simply cocks its head and stares at Private James intently.

"Damn jungle, damn birds. Who the hell decided it was a good idea to bring crows to another planet, let alone a jungle? Damn scourges, that's all they are." Mutters James to himself as he continues his patrol.

James looks at it closely and notices it has red eyes. He turns to Corporal John "Hotrod" Asrimoth and asks "Corporal, are crows supposed to have red eyes?"

"No, now eyes front, Private. Stop gawking at the scenery and focus on the task at hand." He says as he turns towards James.

"But, Corporal, look up there," Coco says as he points into the tree's branches.

Hotrod groans in frustration, "Will it please your fantasies if I take a look at this fictional red-eyed crow of your's?"

Hotrod looks up into the branches to see the crown hopping along branches above them, keeping pace with the patrol. It pauses in stride as it notices Corporal Asrimoth staring at it and cocks it head to the side, miniature cameras built into its optical lenses zooming out to focus on him.

John Asrimoth stares in confusion at its extended eye for a split second before recognizing it as a surveillance device. "That's not a crow, boys! Lock and load and get to firing positions, call in imminent hostile assault on our position and prepare for an assault!" The corporal yells out.

Lance Corporal Luther "Hulk" Lanscot steps up to Corporal Asrimoth  and reports with a completely straight face. "Sir, I know I am a giant, very muscular man that everyone thinks is an idiotic killing machine. But even I knew that that is a surveillance system.

The crow cawes as if in agreement.

"Positions! Corporal Asrimoth yells out and they form a triangle with Hulk and Coco facing back and Asrimoth facing forwards. "Deploy barricades!" They click a button on the command nodules on their wrists and large deflatable casts fly out, concrete mold filling them instantly. The mold hardens into concrete in a matter of seconds.

Then, silence reigns supreme.

"Where the hell are they, Corporal? I can't see a damn thing through this foliage." Private James grimaces in suspense.

"Shut it, Private. Eyes front, keep it snappy. We don't need side conversation."

"Yes Corporal, eyes front and body snappy!" Coco replies.

The caw of a crow permeates the atmosphere, hundreds more following. A thousand crows take to the air, all with red eyes.

"Here we go, boys. Lock and load, fire at will. It's about to get nasty." The corporal whispers as he cocks the charging handle of his S&V Multi Purpose Rifle, loading in high penetration rounds.