Ever Since Childhood... I Was... Different Somehow

June 22nd 2003, Family Reunion

"So Lyra, how's school going?"
I scowled at my aunt's idiotic question.
"Fine."
"You know, your birthday's coming up soon, how about a nice spa day?  Me you and your mother, it'll be a girls day out!"
Words could not describe the hatred I felt towards my aunt.  She wasn't just stupid, she was also horrendously irresponsible.  In 1999 she gave birth to a beautiful healthy little boy, and within the year he was dead from starvation.  Somehow she was never arrested, and everyone in the family to this day looks over the kid's death.
"I'll be right back, aunt Stacy.  I'm gonna go grab some food."
"Okay!  Hurry back, hun."
I walked to the kitchen to avoid suspicion and slipped out the back door.  I reached into the pocket of my jean shorts and pulled out the cellphone I got for Christmas.  I called my best friend Jeremy's home phone.
Three rings, and then his mom picked up.
"Hello, who's this?"
"Hey, it's Lyra.  Is Jeremy there?"
"One second."
"Hello?"
"Hey, is it okay if I come over?  My parents have a bunch of relatives here."
"Sure."
"Great, thanks."
I walked two blocks to Jeremy's house, knowing full well that I would be in trouble later for ditching my aunt and not telling my parents where I was going.
Jeremy offered me a cigarette (as usual) but I refused (as usual).  Not that I had anything against smoking, I had asthma and I was worried that I would screw up my lungs even worse.  We played video games for a few hours, and then a question popped into my head. 
"Does growing up hurt?"
"What are you on about now?"
"Well, I turn 13 next week, and I'm still a kid, and I'm just scared."
"I'm not even grown up yet and I'm 14, what makes you think you'll grow up all of a sudden?"
"I'm not normal."
"What do you mean?"
I looked at him intently.
"There's something wrong with me."
I said in a quiet but shaky voice.
"I'm sorry.  I don't know what I can say to help you."
After a few minutes of staring at each other we went back to playing Zelda.
It was 9:30 pm when my mom finally realized I'd left. 

-

"Lyra Marie Brookes!  Do you have any idea how worried I was?????"
"I know mom, I-"
"No excuses, I'll be there to walk you home soon, and when I get there the phone goes in my purse, understand?"
"Yes."