If I Had A Heart

"Kelsis!"
The girl sighed, turning to face her mother. "Yes, Mama?"
"Hurry up, you'll be late!"
"Of course, Mama. I'm leaving now." She put her backpack on her shoulders, gabbing her gloves. "See you tonight."
"Have fun, Kels," her mother murmured.
"Ha," Kelsis muttered as she closed the door behind her, walking out to the waiting truck. "Fun."
"Hey Kels," Reno greeted.
"Morning," she said, buckling into the passenger's seat.
"Yang's sick today," he informed her.
"Kay," she mumbled, turning to the window.
Reno cranked up the radio, and her face twisted in horror at the news.
This morning tragedy struck, tearing apart the downtown art studio of several local painters. As of now the death toll rests at two, while five were hospitalized in critical condition. The fallen include Mason Dix, a former painter and musician, and...
"No." She shook her head as Reno pulled a u-ey. "No, no, no. This can't happen."
Reno opened his mouth to say something but he was interrupted by Kelsis' phone ringing. She slowly reached into her pocket and pulled it out, clicking accept and holding up the small flip-phone.
"Kelsis, dear, have you heard?" Her mother rushed out.
"Yes Mama," she whispered. "I heard."
"Oh, dearie, is Reno bringing you home?" Her mother asked nervously.
"I think so, yeah," Kelsis muttered.
"Okay, good. Love you honey, bye." Her mother hung up, signified by a soft beep.

---------------

"Oh, Kelsis, thank God you're okay." Her mother ran forward, pulling her into a tight hug.
"But Mama!" She whined, struggling out of her parent's grasp.
"Reno, so good to see you!"
Reno smiled. "Thanks. So sorry to hear about your husband, ma'am."
"Thank you." She smiled sadly. "Why don't you come in? I've got tea in the kitchen."
"That sounds lovely, ma'am, thank you." Reno smiled, following her as she walked away. Kelsis trailed behind them, her head pounding as she suddenly changed course and headed up the stairs.
"Kelsis, dear, are you coming?" Her mother called.
"Yeah, Mom, I'll be right there," she yelled, entering the bathroom and locking the door behind her.
"Kels!" Her mother shouted, setting down the pie on the table and coming to bottom of the stairwell. "Kelsis Marie Dix! Come down here right now!"
"I'll be there in a minute!" Kelsis screamed, shrugging out of her jacket. "Hold on!"
"Kelsis!" Her mother hollered, starting to climb the steps. Reno followed behind her, stopping at the bottom step.
"I said one minute!" She shouted, digging through the drawer where the razor blades were kept.
"Kelsis, I want you to come out right now!" Her mother said, banging on the door. "Kelsis!"
"No," Kelsis said. "I'm never leaving this room!"
The cool metal sank into her soft flesh and the crimson life flowed out of her, streaming across the tiled floor as Reno ran up the stairs and her mother pounded on the door.