Chapter Øne

Ruby's P.O.V
I sit on the top bunk, looking out the small window watching cars speed by or happy couples walking down the street. My name's Ruby Parker, I'm 4 years old and have been in Miss Believers Orphanage my whole life. I never knew my real parents, and that hurts me more everyday. I'm too busy looking out the window that I don't hear the door to my room opening. "Ruby get your little ass downstairs, it's adoption day, you know the fucking drill" Mrs. Ford scolds then leaves the room. A single tear falls down my cheek as I climb down from my bed. I grab my "good" clothes from my old and worn out backpack. I put on gray leggings with holes in the knees, black ugg boots and a red hoodie that's a little too big. I brush my blonde hair out and grab my stuffed animal shark, named Larry. I slowly make my way downstairs, still crying from Mrs. Ford being so rude earlier. I wipe my eyes and go sit in the room where all the girls have to go. I go sit in the corner by the window and watch the birds hop from branch to branch in the big oak tree outside. I smile looking at how happy they must be. The lady that serves food dropped a bowl of rotten-looking oatmeal and a piece of bread. I grab the spoon and poke at the oatmeal, almost puking when it doesn't budge. I push the bowl to the other side of the table and scrunch up my nose, deciding to just eat the bread. I put on the hood of my hoodie and look out the window again eating my slice of bread.