Chapter One- Shifting

''But that's just not possible dad. You know I can't live without Matt'',  I said it in such a bad tone, still expecting a positive response.

Instead of saying something, he laughed.

Yes,he laughed. ''Dad, I'm serious, okay? You know, ever since mom died, my life has been a complete mess. We can't just leave London, it's not fair to me, it's not fair to you, it's not fair to any of us''. I was getting worried now but he just sat there and laughed. That's perhaps the most rudest thing someone could ever do. Laugh.

''Honey, we're leaving for London tomorrow, what part of it don't you understand?'' He said it in a tone I never expected. One moment he was there, sitting on the couch and the next, he goes all serious. ''But dad, we've lived here since for like ten years or something, why move away''? I pleaded. I was pretty serious at the moment. I mean no one leaves their home just like that. No one. The silence between us scared me until I finally found his lips moving.

'' Look Ash, my life hasn't  been the same lately. I cant live in this house anymore, I just cant. Your mother and I shifted here when we were eighteen, got married around twenty one and you need to realize that my life hasn't been the same, at least not after she passed away. I need a change. The thought that she isn't here,with me,with you, breaks me. It hurts me. I mean she left so early. I just want to go somewhere really far,at least  far away from all this and well, maybe move on,honey?'' I saw it in his eyes. The way he said it. I was afraid to ask but I had to, knowing that I had no other choice and when I finally spoke up, it took me no where. 

''You mean you want to get married again? '' I asked it in a really low voice that I bet he never heard before. 

''Yes..''.That just made my day. I didn't even let him finish. I had heard enough. At least enough for the day. 

''Okay,dad''. I whispered. That's all I could say. I hurried away upstairs to hide away my tears. Yeah right, you couldn't even wait for at least an year. One single freaking year, dad. You had to find someone who would wash away your socks yet you claim to love mom for all those twenty years. Men.

The next few hours were miserable. I spent the day giving birth to little words with loud cries. I scribbled away everything I felt in my diary. I usually did that whenever I missed mom. She just left me with nothing. Seriously, nothing at all. I was not beautifully broken the way girls are in books. I was ripped  to shreds from the inside. I threw myself on the bed when I heard something that scared the hell out of me. ''Who's there?'' I asked, grabbing away my pillow for defense. I knew that wouldn't work. The pillow I mean. Who on earth can seriously escape using a pillow?

So I just sat on the bed with a pillow for that certain defense that I knew would have never worked. That's when I heard ''What's with all that black''? Wait,Oh,it's Matt.

I turned around. It was him. Matt. My best friend. Now for Matt, he's really tall and I really don't know how but the way he smiles makes them go crazier than ever. By ''them ', I mean ''girls''. I remember finding a note in my locker that said ''Bitch, you can't have him.He's all mine'.' Trust me when you're friends with a guy as good looking as him, things like these may often happen to you. Let's not miss away the part that he's the most modest guy I've ever met. I guess that  makes him more attractive . Brittney,  the head of the cheerleading squad,a stupid mean blonde usually manages to get anything she wants. She has a crush on him since kindergarten.Luckily, she never got Matt. It's so obvious the way she comes and begs for him to be her dance partner for the homecoming dance. I really don't know why Matt doesn't accept her. I mean she's popular, she's pretty but then again, she's really revealing. I really don't think she's Matt's type. I guess except the fact that she's a blonde,a total mean bitch and someone who loves pink, she's a good person at heart.