10. It's time

“Do you think you can hide it forever? If one day Eun Seok learns about this, how will you explain that you’re the one responsible for his appa’s death?”

“Then I will make sure that he will not learn about it even if it’s the last thing I do.”

Jae Hee recalled her confrontation with Maru. For Eun Seok’s sake, can she really confess her crime? Will Eun Seok be able to forgive her for what she has done to his father? But will all these still be possible given the situation his son is in? I will do anything, just please let my son live. For the first time in many years, Jae Hee prayed.

More than five hours have passed but there’s still no update about Eun Seok’s operation. Everyone was anxiously waiting outside the operating room, Eun Seok’s ahjumma sobbing, Min Young pacing around the hall, Eun Gi leaning on Maru’s shoulder, and Jae Hee seated quietly as she was tired from crying. The silence was interrupted when the operating room door’s swung open. They all stood and eagerly anticipated for the doctor to speak.

“The boy is safe now. Fortunately we have enough supply of blood to have the transfusion. He will be transferred to the recovery room immediately.”  Everyone deeply sighed in relief upon hearing the good news. The couple embraced, while Jae Hee shed tears of joy.

“Thank you so much doctor. Thank you for saving my son’s life.” She said in between sobs. The doctor smiled and nodded before leaving them. Min Young went beside Jae Hee to offer his embrace, which she accepted. Now that her son is safe, will she have the courage to tell him the truth?

---

Jae Hee was carefully caressing her son’s delicate small face, studying every feature of it. He indeed was the only one she has; the only person who she knew genuinely loves her. If she’ll reveal the truth, then her son will definitely hate her for the rest of his life. He’s too young to know all of these, but probably – her thoughts were interrupted when Eun Gi and Maru entered the room.

“How is he doing?” Eun Gi approached Eun Seok’s bed.

“The doctor said that it might still take him a few more hours before waking up. His body was exhausted from everything that happened, but he’ll be fine.”

“That’s good to know, my little brother is a fighter. If you don’t mind, we have to go now, but I’ll be back tomorrow to check on Eun Seok.” When the couple was about to leave, Jae Hee stood, “Eun Gi- ya” she called and gave her a hug. Eun Gi and Maru were surprised at the sudden gesture of Jae Hee, “Gomawo” Jae Hee softly said as she released Eun Gi. “I would like to talk with you tomorrow. For now, rest well. Your baby needs it too.” Jae Hee gave her a small smile. “Arasso, I’ll see you tomorrow” Eun Gi returned the smile and left with Maru.

While on their way home, Maru’s mind was occupied with Jae Hee’s talk with Eun Gi the following day. What was she going to tell Eun Gi? Could it be about - ?

“Maru-sshi?” He snapped out of his daze when he heard Eun Gi calling his name.

“Ah ye?” he responded

“Is there something wrong? I called your name thrice, you seemed to be in deep thought” Eun Gi worriedly asked. Maru then smiled and reached out for her hand, “It’s nothing, you don’t have to worry. Maybe I was just tired with all the day’s happenings, what about you? You must be really tired.”

“Actually I am, but I’m just glad that my little brother is okay. Plus the fact that we’re going to have a son” she smiled back at him as she placed her free hand over her swollen abdomen. Maru stole a gaze at his wife and planted a kiss on her hand.