EPISODE 4: "Bones" - Rahman Ullah Khan

Based on a true story

It was a peaceful wintery night of February. There was a slight chill settling in, all across Karachi. Homes, apartments and huts were all tightly shut to keep the cold out. Street lights flickered against the darkness of the night to help travellers reach their destinations. There was no snow but a thin fog engulfing most of the city. Traffic decreased by the hour and people scurried along the roads and pathways.

Some areas were quieter than others and in one such area lined with posh houses and fabulous restaurants, was a car moving towards Sector S of Gulshan-E-Maymar. The car stopped at a barrier and a bearded guard came forth. The man in the car opened his window and the guard gestured, "Salam, sahib! (Greetings, sir!)" Then the barrier was lifted and the car resumed it's journey towards the few houses that populated the otherwise empty Sector. It pulled up beside a luxurious postmodern styled house. The man got out, took a hold of his belongings and shut the car door behind him. With a tap on his keychain he locked the car and that's when he heard a shrill scream. He smiled. It came again. He proceeded towards the gate and rung the bell. This time the scream came from behind the gate. Then he heard the footsteps of someone hastily coming towards the door. "Oh, please wait a minute, Ammar! I can't seem to get a hold of her."

The man laughed, "Let her be, Mishal. She's just excited to meet daddy. Unlike you who hasn't even unlocked the gate yet."

"Papa!"

"But she's barefoot. She might catch a cold. Aaahh!!! Oh fine! I'm unlocking the door."

The door was unlocked and suddenly a little girl rushed as fast as lightning towards him. "Papaaa!", screamed the girl and jumped into Ammar's lowered arms.

"I love you, my little pumpkin!" exclaimed Ammar while gently kissing his daughter on the cheeks.

"Now get inside. If the door stays open for too long, then mosquitoes will start pouring in. And-", she was cut short as Ammar pulled her close, gently locking lips with her.

"It's okay. Try being calm for a change. Here, take Arisha and go inside. I'll lock the gates and head in behind you", said Ammar handing her the little girl. Blushing, Mishal obliged and headed back inside.

Ammar locked the doors and went inside.

"God! You're such a Romeo!", exclaimed Mishal. "I'm putting out the food in a few minutes, dear. Hurry and freshen up by then." Ammar made his way across the lounge littered with toys and went upstairs to their room. He changed his clothes and after a quick visit to the restroom, went downstairs to the dining table in the hall near the kitchen.

"So, do you remember we got the visa to visit India? I was thinking we should go there now. There is a dargah there that I want to visit.", said Ammar as he filled his plate with biryani.

"Hmm... It might be a nice way to spend the weekend", she said thinking aloud.

"Your cooking is as delicious as ever, love", he said. "How about we head there this weekend?"

"I'm glad you liked it, dear. I think we need time to pack and I was planning to invite your brother and his wife over for dinner this weekend", she said in low-tones.

"I'm sure they can come later this month. Besides, it would be a good break for you from your hectic routine here." Then he picked up Arisha and said, "It would make our princess happy. Wouldn't it?" "Yes, papa! I want to go there, mommy." Arisha said in her lovable cute voice. "Please", said the father and daughter in cohesion.

"Okay. I will arrange the tickets and we can go this weekend. Happy now?" Mishal said while feeding her small morsels of the biryani. "Yay! We're going to go to India!", rejoiced Arisha.