Chapter 3

Dani awoke with a ringing in her ears. She looked around and noticed that her surroundings were unfamiliar. She propped herself up on her elbow and scoped the room. The echo of a distant voice broke into her thoughts. It was Lena.
"Lena?" Dani called out.
No reply.
"Lena?" Dani repeated.
No reply. Dani closed her eyes and listened. The door creaked open after a few minutes. Lena walked in with a tray of food and a glass of water. She turned towards Dani and found her asleep. She sat down next to her and Dani's phone vibrated. A message from her girlfriend. Lena didn't want to pry. She gently shook Dani's arm in an attempt to wake her up. Dani stirred but kept her eyes closed.
"Come on, Dani. Please?"
Dani opened her eyes and faintly smiled at Lena.
"Hey. What happened?"
Lena handed the phone to Dani and cocked her head, motioning for her to read the message.
"What does it say?" Lena asked. Dani looked at her and closed her eyes, allowing a single tear to fall. Lena watched as it rolled down her cheek.
"She broke up with me, over text", Dani hissed, glaring at her screen.
"Aw, Dani. I'm so sorry".
Dani shrugged and threw her phone back down in the couch she was laid on.
"So, what happened to me? Earlier, I mean".
Lena took a deep breath and smiled sympathetically.
"You blacked out. I grabbed hold of your arm and picked you up. I didn't know where to take you or what had happened, at the time at least". Lena paused. "Dani. Your nose."
Dani lifted her hand up to feel her nose. Her nose was spewing blood.
"Oh my God. What the fuck? Jesus Christ." Dani used her sleeve and tried to wipe the blood away. She smeared her cheek with blood in the process.
"C'mere." Lena offered to clean her face. She gently blotted at her nose and her cheek. Lena placed her hands around Dani's waist and held her tight.