CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

★ ★ ★ ★

OCTOBER, 1941

I awoke to the sounds of foot steps running around outside the door. I groaned with sleep still consuming me. As I slowly opened my tired green eyes, the first thing I saw was a empty bed next to mine. The bed was neatly folded and clean. I sat up in my spot and rubbed my eyes to try and wake up. Once I could fully see I looked around and noticed that last night really wasn't a dream. It was all real. A small smile grew on my face because I could finally feel safe for Charlie.

  I then moved my legs over the side of my bed and ran my fingers through my tangled hair. Sighing I look around the room to see no sign of Emma anywhere. I look towards the night stand to see a hand written note.  I picked it up and started reading it.

   Dear Johanna,

      I left some fresh clothes for you to get changed. The bathroom is the second door on your right if you wanted to take a bath. Everything you will need is in there. Breakfast is at 7:30 am.

    Sincerely,
           Emma

I sighed and looked towards a clock that sat on the bedside table while putting the note down. The clock on my the table said 6:50 am. I sighed in relief that I still had time to freshen up before going down stairs.

I was really nervous to meet everyone. I was so scared that they wouldn't like me but I shook my head from my ridiculous thoughts. I looked down at my clothes and forgot about changing out of my clothes from yesterday. I quickly walked towards the wardrobe against the wall in front of my bed. I opened the doors and skimmed over the clothes that were both mine and some old dresses Emma gave me.

  I grabbed a flowing yellow dress, a red ribbon, a pair of white sheer tights, and a pair of black Mary-Jane short healed shoes. Once I grabbed my clothes I headed towards the door. As I walked out of the room I looked around to see nobody in the halls which make me l guess that everyone was downstairs.

  As I walked towards the direction Emma's letter sent me towards, I wasn't looking where I was going. I all of a sudden stumbled into someones chest making me gasp in shock. The person I bumped into all of a sudden dropped something that they were caring.

While I was still leaning on the unknown person for support I moved my hand towards the two jars that fell out of the persons hand. As the two jars with the unknown objects in them started falling to the ground I made a pile of snow appear on the wooden ground.