CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"Wake up," Daniel whispered in Emily's ear.

She stirred awake and took the cup of coffee he was offering to her, then noticed that Daniel was dressed. "Where are you going?"

"I have something to do today," he replied.

Emily looked around and noticed that the sun had barely risen. "Something? What something?"

He gave her a look. "It's a secret. But not a 'my name is actually Dashiel' kind of secret. You don't need to worry, is what I'm saying." He pressed a kiss into the crown of her head.

"Well, that's reassuring," Emily said sarcastically.

"Anyway," Daniel said, "I'd just be in your way."

"Why?" Emily asked, bleary-eyed.

Daniel raised his eyebrows. "Don't tell me you've forgotten."

"Oh my God!" Emily gasped. "The town meeting. It's today, isn't it?"

Daniel nodded. "Yup. And I think someone's having a meeting with Cynthia at seven a.m. It's currently six forty-five."

Emily leapt up. "You're right. Oh my god. I have to get dressed."

Though appreciative of Cynthia's offer to talk to her about all things B&B, she wished the woman hadn't insisted on such an early meeting time.

"That got you moving," Daniel said with a chuckle. He finished swigging his coffee, then grabbed his jacket.

"Just don't forget the meeting tonight, will you?" Emily said. "Seven p.m. at the town hall."

Daniel grinned. "I'll be there. I promise."

*

Cynthia arrived at the house with her two pet poodles in tow. She was dressed in a fuchsia pink maxi dress, the color clashing horribly with her ginger hair.

"Morning," Emily called out, waving from the door.

"Hello, sweetheart," Cynthia said. She seemed to be in a rush as she hurried up the path.

"Thanks for meeting with me," Emily added when the woman was a little closer. "Do you want some coffee?"

"Oh, I'd love some," Cynthia said.

Emily led her into the kitchen and poured them both a cup from where the pot was still brewing. As she did, Mogsy leapt up at the glass door between the kitchen and utility room. Cynthia went over and looked through the glass.

"I didn't know you had puppies!" she cried. "Oh, they're just adorable!"

"The mom was a stray," Emily said. "I didn't realize she was pregnant then suddenly there were five puppies."

"Have you found a home for them yet?" Cynthia asked, cooing through the glass at them.

"Not yet," Emily replied. "I mean the pups are too young at the moment to leave their mom. And I can't exactly kick her out to fend for herself. So for now they're mine."

"Well, once they're done weaning, I'll happily take one off your hands. Jeremy passed his entrance exams to St. Matthew's and I wanted to get him a congratulations gift."

"You'd take one?" Emily asked, feeling a sense of relief. "That would be great."

"Sure," Cynthia replied, squeezing Emily's arm. "We look out for each other in this town. Want me to ask around? See if anyone else wants one?"

"Yes, that would be amazing, thank you," Emily replied.

Emily went and fed the dogs, then the two women settled down at the table.