~Day 1 ~ Beginning of the 1st

Day 1

So, I've never really done anything like this. I guess I should just get right into it. Sorry to those of you who actually read this.

It was the first day of school. A few hours after I had fallen back asleep from that...dream..., I was rudely awoken by the blaring of the alarm clock. My hand slapped the nightstand before I finally hit the stupid thing. I blinked the sleep out of my eyes, frantically looking around, my eyes adjusting to the dim light.

I remember it being particularly cloudy that day, which was strange. It was mid-August, so it should have been bright, even with clouds covering the sky. Anyways, I know I had to have groaned. First day of school, in 11th grade, at a new school. My family had just moved because of my father's job. He had been switched to a new sector or something, I don't know, but we moved for convenience. It didn't happen often, but when we did move, we always at least waited out the school year.

It sucked though. We had been at our last place in Virginia for a few years. I had gotten used to it and made a few friends. James, and Matt, and Veron...His hand let go of the pen. It clattered to the floor with a dull thud against the carpet, unheard by him amidst his thoughts. He takes a deep breath, regaining his composure, before resuming his work...No. Not yet. Too soon. But yeah. Friends.

Anyways, I think I was starting to stretch before someone on the door. My father came in. "Rise and shine, kiddo! We've got a big day today!", or something like that. I scoffed silently. He might. "I know", I think I said, sitting up and preparing to get ready. I had showered the night before, just in case I didn't have time for everything in the morning. I didn't know how everything worked there.

I started getting my stuff together, bag, notebooks, pens, the usual first day stuff, before I started thinking. "I wonder what it's going to be like. I've been told it's good, but everyone just says that. I guess I'll just find out myself", I think I thought. I zipped up my book bag and flung it over my shoulder as I walked out if my room.

I arrived in the kitchen as usual for breakfast, but for some reason, I just really wasn't hungry. I remember my mom asking me what I wanted to eat and me rejecting, and then her getting that little look moms get when they're worried. I sat down at the table and told her I was just anxious and wasn't hungry. That's believable.

I double checked to make sure I had everything as my mother came over to kiss my forehead. I noticed the clock and got worried, thinking I'd be late for the bus. I quickly shoved everything in my bad before rushing out the door and hugging my mom, stopping to grab something I could snack on later if I did get hungry.

I remember walking down to the street corner. Where the bus was supposed to pick us up. I think I checked the time then. I was a minute or two early, so I stood there, idly humming some annoying song I'd heard earlier.

I still think about that song sometimes. You'd think a year would be long enough, but no, it stuck around. God did I get tired of it.

Another minute passed, and I saw someone else walk up from an adjacent street. As she got closer, I noticed that it was a girl. A blonde. All she had was a large purse, a pair of shorts and flip flops, and a rather tight shirt. She also happened to be chewing gum, probably the most pungent kind I had ever smelled, and boy did she not know how to chew it quietly. I always tried not to be a judge-y person, but I was at a new school, new place, and hey, stereotypes are there for a reason. I marked her down as a bit of a snob, a superficial chick, but you never know.

Another minute went by, and I watched as another guy rounded the corner and crossed the street. He looked mean. Athletic. He had that jock kind of look to him, and judging by his broad shoulders and tall stature, he probably was. He walked over to the girl, and two leaned against the stop sign and started making out. I do remember seeing that. Ick. That would make sense though, blonde cheerleader-girl, tough jock. Classic high school matchup.

I turned around and saw another kid walking up from my street. Small frame, glasses, big, two-strapped bookbag. I don't mean to be mean, but the kid was a walking definition of a nerd. I'm not one to bully though. Just, trying to help myself.

Shortly after, the bus could be heard, and it soon rolled up to our stop. We all got on in file, the classic couple going first, with me going last. I had always liked going last best. Anyways, the driver didn't say anything, so I just picked an empty seat and slid over to the window. I didn't know how long it would be, so I popped in my earphones, hoping someone would get my attention if I was needed.