Chapter 1

Juliet

"Which one? This or that?" Liv holds up a red dress in the right hand and a black in the left.

  Confused, she glances back and forth on both dresses. 

  "The red one. No doubt, "she breaks out in the end.

  I lean closer to the mirror and applying lip gloss on my lips. They are rich and maybe one part of my body I'm most pleased with. I have never been satisfied with myself. At least not my body.

When I was in middle school I was bullied a lot for my appearance.They called me horrible things. Things that gives me a lump in my stomach every time I think about it. I was, and still is, quite shy and it did not make things any better. Eventually, people started spreading rumors about me. Rumors that was not true.

It was a dark period in my life. I had no friends and every day I dreaded to go to school. On the worst days I used to run away from school and into the woods where I had my own secret hiding place.

But as time passed, my teachers began to wonder why I no longer showed up at school. I never dared to tell my parents about any of the things that happend, but when they saw my absence, they began to ask questions.

After six months' time we moved. I started at a new school with a clean slate and I finally got friends. That's when I met Liv. She was everything opposite from me; fore, pretty and popular.Before I got to know her, I must admit I was a little scared, but one day we randomly had to work together for a biology assignment, I learned that we had much in common. After that we began to spend more and more time together, and I learned that she was not scary at all.

I rub my lips together so that the lipstick distributed fine.

"Are you ready?" Liv asks.  I breathe heavily.

I'm afraid of how this night is going to end. A group of young businessmen has come to the city, and since it's Friday night, and Liv is crazy about men, she suggested that we should visit "The Blue Lagoon", the most popular bar in the city.

I've never had a boyfriend before or at all had "close contact" with a guy, and besides, we are not twenty-one and old enough to drink.

What should one do? My whole life I've been running and hiding me, but not tonight. Tonight I decided to start living.

"Yes, I'm ready," I reply as I take a last look at myself in the mirror.