Chapter two

I'm not able to relax until we get home, last nights dream is playing over and over again, and I can't get that laugh out of my head.
"Hi girls, how was the trip?"
"It was great! But Cassie kept hearing phantom laughter." I jab her in the ribs with my elbow. "Ouch!"
"Phantom laughter? What's that about?"
"Nothing. I was dreaming."
"Must have been a strange dream."
"It was, I need a nap." I grab Kayla's arm and drag her with me. "Did you have to bring up the laughter?" I ask, once we're upstairs.
"Oh come on, I didn't do it to be mean."
"I know, but you know how mom is, she may not let us go anymore."
"I get she's overprotective, but she won't make us stop going because of laughing. And you did tell her it was a dream."
"Do you really didn't hear anything last night?"
"No, maybe it really was just a dream."
"Yeah, maybe."
"I probably freaked you out by.. never-mind, have a nice nap." She leaves.
"Kayla, I hate when you never-mind me!"
"I know!" She yells back.
I am seven years old again, kayla is five. Our friend is hiding. We can't find her. Where is she?
"Find me, find me." She sings. We can't tell where it's coming from. She darts between the gaps in the trees.
"Why is she running? We're her friends."
"She isn't running from us. She's running from him, we should too."
I shoot up in bed, shaking and drenched in sweat. I get up and go downstairs for water.
"Cassie, you okay?" I jump at the sound of Kayla's voice.
"Yeah. Bad dream."
"Oh. Well, I'm hungry, let's go get something. It's only six, so the pizza place is open."
"Okay."