Chapter eight

"Why would she break the salt line?" Kayla whispers.
"I don't know.. maybe she was trying to tell us something. Or maybe she was just trying to scare us."
"Well, she accomplished that."
"Maybe Kyle will know what we should do. His dad is into all this stuff." She sighs.
"Just because his dad knows about this stuff doesn't mean he will, I get he's your boyfriend, but do you think it's a good idea to involve him?"
"Maybe not, but if I randomly start asking all these questions about ghosts and demons he's going to want to know why. So we may not have a choice."
"So, don't ask him."
"He's already noticed something is up, we've been together for two years, I don't like keeping things from him."
"Yeah, I get that, but telling him could mean putting him in danger."
"Not necessarily, I'll talk to him tomorrow morning, when we go to get coffee."
"Okay. Let me know what he says."
"I will."
                                  ******
The next morning, Kyle and I are sitting at a table in the back of the café.
"Seriously, what's up? You seem really distant. Did I do something to make you mad?" I shake my head.
"No, it's.. this is going to sound crazy."
"What?"
"My sister and I are being haunted by a little girl, we used to play hide and seek with her. And she wants us to play one more game, but last night, she broke the salt barrier we laid down. Kayla and I freaked."
"She broke it? Are you sure it wasn't you or Kayla? Maybe by accident?"
"I know for sure it wasn't. I didn't know friendly spirits could break salt barriers."
"They can't." He says, and a chill seizes my body. He downs the rest of his coffee and takes my hand, pulling me up. "Come on, my dad will be more help than me."