Chapter five

I'm making coffee when there's a knock at the door.
"Coming!" I yell. I open the door. "Hey Fallyn, good morning."
"Good morning. I'm going to the research center today, to sign up for my surgery, do you want to come?"
"Sure, let me have some coffee first, you want some?"
"Absolutely." I pour two cups of coffee.
"Creamer or sugar?"
"No thanks, I'll take mine black." I slide her cup over. "So, do you think I should get Dr. Smith's number today?"
"I guess, if you want to."
"Yes or no Lizzie? It's like best friend code of conduct that we make decisions as one."
"Okay, yes, but I think he was just being friendly yesterday. It was one sided flirting."
"I can still ask as a friend."
"Yeah, that's true." We put our empty mugs into the sink and head head out.
                                 *********
"Hi Dr. Smith."
"Oh, hello Fallyn, Lizzie."
"Is it possible for me to get your number? You know, in case I have any questions about the surgery?"
"Sure, let me go get you a business card."
"Okay, thanks."
"You're welcome." He comes back a few minutes later with two business cards and hands us each one. "You can sign up over here." He hands Fallyn a clipboard. "Lizzie? Do you need one?"
"Oh, no thank you." Fallyn hands the clipboard back.
"Your surgery is at eleven forty-five next wednesday."
"Awesome, thank you."
"Make sure you get a lot of sleep the night before, and, like with any surgery, make sure not to eat or drink after midnight. And be sure you have someone to take you home. The city is allowing cars for the duration of the surgery."
"Oh, wow, I'll have to let Luke know. He can drive us."
"Right, well, we should get going. "
"Bye." Dr Smith calls.
"Bye." Fallyn and I say together.
                             ******
"Hey Luke? Can you give me and Fallyn a ride to Smith Research Center next Wednesday?"
"A ride?"
"Yeah. The city is allowing cars until everyone who's getting the surgery gets it." I explain. "I guess they don't want a bunch of loopy, drugged up people who just got eye surgery wandering through the city."
"Probably a good call." He says, nodding. "Yeah, I can give you guys a ride, what time?"
"Well, her surgery is at eleven forty-five, so maybe have us there by eleven?"
"Okay."
"Thanks, let me call Fallyn and let her know."
"Okay." I go to my room and call her.
"Hey, we're good to go for Wednesday."
"Awesome."
"Do you want to stay the night tuesday?"
"Sure, but I'll have to go to bed early."
"Right, I know."
"I'll stay."
"Okay. I'll let my parents know."
"Okay."
"Well, I'm gonna get off here, see you tomorrow."
"Bye, see you then."
"Bye." I hang up then go to the kitchen. "Hey, Fallyn is staying the night Tuesday, before the surgery."
"Okay, that's fine."
"You know they're allowing cars for the duration of the surgery?"
"Oh, that's nice." I look at my watch.
"Oh! It's getting late."
"It's only two."
"I know, but I have some research to do at the library."
"Ah, alright. Will you be okay walking by yourself?"
"Yes."
"Okay, be home before dark."
"I'll only be an hour or so." I say, heading out the door.
                            **********
When I get to the library, I look up eye color surgery and a few articles come up, but it's stuff I already knew, so it isn't much help. I groan quietly and try to think of something else to look up, but I can't, so I just decide to go home for the day.