chapter 12

"Thanks for bringing me to get coffee, it was nice." I say, as Luke and I walk home.

"You're welcome, are you ok now?"

"Yeah, now that I know Fallyn was lying about walking, I feel better, I mean, we aren't friends anymore but I still wouldn't want anything to happen to her."

"Right, I understand."

"Hey, Luke! Wait up." We stop and turn around, it's the girl from the café. "You forgot your jacket."

"Oh, thanks."

"Sure." She says, smiling. "Are you busy this weekend?"

"No. I'm off this weekend."

"Awesome. I was just wondering if maybe you wanted to go out to dinner, it's my treat."

"I would love to." Luke says.

"Cool, you wanna meet at the café and we can walk to the restaurant?"

"Sure."

"How does Friday at five sound?" She asks.

"Friday sounds great. What time?"

"Five-thirty?"

"That sounds good."

"Awesome. I'll see you then!"

"I'm looking forward to it." Luke says, smiling.

"Me too."

************

"Didn't Fallyn get her surgery today?" Mom asks.

"Yeah."

"How did it go?"

"We don't talk anymore, so I don't know."

"You two still aren't talking?"

"I've given her way too many chances. She proved that she doesn't want to be my friend when she didn't stand up for me."

"I know, but you and Fallyn have been friends for so long, and.."

"And friendships end sometimes, mom, it's simple, I refuse to be friends with someone like that."

"I understand, and Luke told me what happened today, I'm sorry." I know she means Fallyn trying to make me feel guilty.

"It's fine, she's only doing it to upset me." I don't say that for a second, she did. "It's not a big deal."

"Okay, well, if you ever need to talk about anything, I'm here, I mean it, Friends, worries, boys."

"Mom, please." I groan. "Boys barely talk to me, I'm too awkward. But Luke has a date this Friday, with a girl he works with, they're going to dinner."

"That's good. You're brother is getting to that age where dating is a good thing."

"Yeah, I guess."

"What about you? Do you have plans for Friday?"

"Not really, I'm just staying in. I'll probably read or something."

"Why don't we go do something? Like, me, you, and dad?"

"Yeah, I would like that."

"We can go see a movie or see who's playing down at the beach."

"Movie." I say automatically, still thinking of the last time at the beach.

"Okay, it's a plan then."