Does texting count as social interaction?

As Eleanor and I walked up the stairs from the basement, I checked my phone. 

M: Hey

I look at it confused. What? WHAT?

R: Hey.... Sup

M: Not much, just watching poker, which is really boring. You?

By now we were on the lawn of the building heading towards her house. 

"Hey Ruth, what ya smilling at? Got a boy on there?" She said jokingly. 

"Uh, Yah, actually. OK, so there's this guy that I have been admiring for awhile.... from afar. I know of him, he know's of me but... we've never talked before." I say with a smile on my face. I'm so confused. 

"What'd he say?" I show her the texts. Then quickly go back to texting him. 

R: Nothing much, just walking back from the Kassidy Business building by the courthouse. I volunteer at the children's summer daycare there. 

M: That sounds cool 

R: Yah it is but working with a bunch of screaming kids for 4 hours gives ya a headache. 

M: Yah I believe it lol

"Eleanor, what do I say now?" 

"I don't know man."

.........................................................

As I enter Eleanor's house I sit my but on one of her dining room chairs and stare at the texts while she goes to the bathroom. Think Ruth!!! Think!! What can you say that will strike up conversation?

R: Poker... Who's winning?

M: It's over now but I really like Alex, he likes to mess with people. 

R: Lols messing with people is fun... Alex sounds chill

M: yah it is

R: So, Have you ever played town of Salem? I love messing with people on there. 

M: No, is it good? 

R:Yes!! I've been really addicted to it lately

M: Cool, do you play a lot of games?

"So what's he saying" Eleanor asks excitedly. She grabs my phone and starts reading. When she starts to type I immediately fight her. I relent and let her type with my eye on what she says. 

R: I WISH!! I don't have the money to buy the games and the consoles and the other miscellaneous items needed for gaming. 

M: Well, I play a lot of games and if you wanted, I could train you for this upcoming tournament in a month?

R: Sorry, I can't. I'm heading to band camp in a few days and then I'm heading to Illinois and by then the tournament would be over. 

M: It's cool I get it.

There's an awkward silence. "L, what could possibly come next?"

"I don't know, you could just leave it there."

"But then what."

"You wait and see if he says something on his own."

............................................................

A/N

Hi, I know this is a short first chapter but I wanted to simply introduce the characters. I promise things will start to speed up soon :)