Chapter 1...sort of

The next morning I wake up to the sweet smell of burnt pancakes. My house is crazy in the mornings, hence the fact that I live with three annoying brothers and my crazy dad. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but you know boys...well...they're boys. I lazily throw my covers off of my body and sleepily trudge my way over to the bathroom. I'm the only one besides my dad with a bathroom in my room, since there's so many of us. I guess I'm lucky.

After I'm done in the bathroom, I make my way downstairs so that can get some breakfast. As I come into the kitchen I get a full noseful of smoke mixed with maple syrup. I cough, waving it out of my face. Looks like I'll be going out for breakfast.

"Good morning Mads," my father says while frantically opening windows to let the smoke out. I mumble good morning and then turn back and head upstairs to get dressed. My youngest brother is coming out of his room. He sniffs the air.

"Did dad try to make pancakes again?" He asks and I nod. He groans and heads back into his room, locking it. I get in my room at the end of the hall and shut the door. I quickly get dressed and grab my wallet and phone. I tiptoe down the stairs and out the door, trying to avoid my dad in fear of him asking where I'm going and making me stay to eat his poisonous food. I finally open the front door. It creaks.

 I wince as I hear my dad's footsteps coming up behind me.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

I sigh. "Just to Hayley's house," I lie. 

"But I made breakfast!" He whines.

"I'll be home for dinner, daddy. I promise," I start closing the door.

"Be back by five, no later," he gives in as the door shuts. I smile to myself as I pull my bike out of the garage and pedal down the street. As soon as I hit my destination-the coffee shop downtown where I'm meeting Hayley- put my bike in the rack and walk inside.

Since I don't see Hayley, I grab a seat in the corner. I sit there on my phone for fifteen minutes trying to beat my high score on Subway Surfers. I used to hate the game but for some reason lately I've been obsessed with it. Soon I feel a tap on my shoulder that makes my character die. I look up and it's Hayley.

"You made me die," I narrow my eyes, but soon start laughing as she dramatically backs away.

"Sorry," She laughs as she sits down across from me.

"Why are you so late," I whine. "I've been sat here for a good twenty minutes," I put my head in my hands.

She shuffles in her seat and pushes her hair back, "I had to...um...sneak out," she looks down sheepishly. "I'm grounded," she smirks.

My eyes go wide, "from last night?" I ask. She nods. If her parents knew about last night then my dad would soon know too. I'd so be grounded. He thought that I was with Hayley and Hayley's parents thought she was with me.

"They smelt the smoke on me," she bites her lip. She quickly puts her hand up, "but I told them that it was because we went into town and there were guys smoking," she added.

"So why'd you get grounded then?" I ask, confused.

"For going into town without permission," she laughs a little.

I'm so happy they didn't find out about last night, I would have been dead. I had told my dad I was at a sleepover party.

"You shouldn't be out, you're gonna get in even more trouble than you already are," I say and she winces.

"You're probably right," she winces and gets up, "I'm going to try and get out of this," she says her goodbyes and then leaves.

To avoid sitting alone again, I go up and order a hot chocolate. I prefer hot chocolate from our towns family owned coffee shop and bakery rather than Starbucks. I don't like the taste of coffee...It's too strong.

After I pay, I sit back down and slowly sip my hot chocolate, because even though it's heavenly, it's hot as hell.

All of a sudden I look up to see a framiliar face

Holy shit.

It's Ed.