Blood Stone

Kayla was still numb after what happened. She couldn't believe it at all. Why would Gurta do such a thing? She knew those men would come after Kayla if they heard about what she was. How could she have betrayed her like that? Why would Gurta go to blame her right afterword too?

"It wasn't my fault though" she thought, grabbing her blood stone and fixing it under her now black hair. The T.V. shop she passed was blaring the news. "There were three found dead today in New Orleans. They were believed to have been murdered by the oldest child, Kayla Newt, who is currently missing. The method is currently unknown, and, as I have been told, there was blood from two unknown victims whose bodies were not on the scene. She is blonde with blue eyes, approximately 5 feet tall, and about 15 years of age."

Kayla knew differently, for it had been the old maid that had inadvertently killed her parents and herself. Gurta had called a man that had investigated Kayla before because people had said that she was unnatural and had some kind of power within her. Gurta saw Kayla perform a spell to help heal one of the dogs after they had fallen and severely injured their leg. Gurta told Kayla's parents first, but they didn't care because they knew already. The year before, Kayla had fixed her mother, Jean, when she had fallen down the stairs and almost died. Kayla had discovered her after coming home from school and had healed her to better health than she had been before. They were forever indebted to her.

Gurta didn't care. Kayla was not human to Gurta's standards, and therefore had to be taken away forever if she couldn't be fixed. The next night, she called the man, and he came the next afternoon with some goons that shot Kayla's family and Gurta before Kayla even came home from school. The men hid in the kitchen and arranged their destruction in the living room. They were still there when Kayla came home.

Upon seeing the massacre, Kayla ran first to her mother and tried to heal her. She tried everything that she could think of. All that happened was that Jean's wound healed, but not another breath escaped her lips. Kayla tried the same with her father and Gurta, where all that happened was their bullet wounds healed. One of the men with guns came out and rushed at Kayla, trying not to shoot at her upon his leader's command. Kayla was filled with rage and stared at the man as he rushed at her until he stopped and began to scream in agony, only silently as Kayla wanted him to, clutching his stomach. Kayla wanted him to feel the pain she felt sevenfold, and she felt fire. She also didn't want to alert the other people she figured might be there. Blood began to pour out of the man's face from his eyes, mouth, nose, and ears. Then, he collapsed.

Kayla panicked,she had no idea what to do. She had just killed a man, and now felt sure that there were more in the kitchen waiting for her. She ran upstairs and packed a bag with just enough, and then silently proceeded to her parents' room and took the emergency money from their closet behind the gun safe. As she closed the safe, she heard a yell from one of the men down stairs.

Kayla ran as fast as she could into her room to access the secret tunnel she had discovered when she was ten. She followed it through the house's walls, down under the cellars, and then back up into the barn. From there, she ran toward town, into a store, and grabbed some hair color that she put in at a nearby gas station, and then headed toward Baton Rouge. It was on her way there that she saw the story. Kayla was almost to her destination when she sensed the presence of three men following her.

She ducked into a warm shop that was close to its closing time for a place to sleep that night and keep out of the starting rain and wind. The three men from earlier followed her inside and cornered the blue eyed girl in the changing room. One man drew a gun while the other two pulled out knives. "I was acting in self defence" she thought as each man dropped to the pulsating glow of her blood stone, red liquid flowing out of their mouths, eyes, nose, and ears.

Kayla, slightly panicked, ran into the alley and began crying. A homeless looking man found her there, and asked what was wrong.

"Nothing. I'm just new to this whole running away thing." Kayla looked at the man and saw he was wearing a dirty grey hoodie with ratty jeans. He was white, very tall, and had a kind face. He almost looked familiar to Kayla, but she couldn't quite place him.

"Well, Why did you run away in the first place?" he asked. Kayla replied with a simple, "It's complicated". He nodded at this and walked away.

Kayla got up and walked away as screams erupted within the store as someone discovered the bodies of the men. She walked into another store a mile and a half down the road, also about to close. Closing in the next two minutes, in fact. There was a clerk walking around with his back to the door when Kayla walked inside silently and hid in one of the circular clothes racks. Soon, the lights were off, and there was nobody else there.

The man with the grey hoodie walked past the outside a half an hour later, and saw Kayla setting up a bed on the inside. He knocked to get her attention, pulled something black from inside his hoodie pocket, and pointed it at her. His once kind face turned dark as he smiled wide and changed from a white man into a tall, beastly thing with no face.

He was an odd shade of color that had every color, and none all at the same time. His face had nothing except horns like a deer's on his forehead, and wart like spots all over his scaly skin. Kayla tried to use her power against him, but to no avail. He made a guttural noise in some way and aimed the gun at her through the glass.

The neighbors reported a gunshot late that night and reported having seen a man like dark figure outside of the local clothing shop. About seven minutes later, the police investigated. They found the body of a girl with a bullet wound to the head, and a white man that seemed to have been emptied to just his skin. His DNA matched that of the blood in the scene of a house in New Orleans.