2

Another arrow straight in the center of the target.

I had been practicing for two hours and my fingers were beginning to ache. Others demigods were practicing around me. They were all too focused on their target to notice me. Time for lunch would come soon; nobody would care if I were to leave early.

I stepped toward the target to get my arrows back and left, walking toward the armory. As I had expected, no one said a word.

Sometimes, I could not help but think people feared me. I was solitary, serious, and deadly with a bow. Some people probably thought I was a dangerous maniac, a girl with no soul and no capacity to enjoy life.

But I had. I wished I could have fun with them.

"That's a low blow!"

Connor's voice reached my ears and I turned my head toward his voice. He was sword-fighting with Travis in a clearing. Many other demigods were doing the same around the two brothers. I stopped. My eyes were drawn to Connor's legs. His legwork was impressive; even on an uneven ground, he never tripped.

Another sound of swords hitting each other.

My eyes fell on his muscled arms. Years of training had made him strong. I bit my bottom lip at this thought.

Raising my eyes, I glimpsed his usual mischievous smile on his lips.

A smile that makes me lose all concentration, a smile that makes me want to lose myself in his arms.

I shook my head. I could not fall for him. I was about to leave when I saw him trip Travis up. It was perfectly done and Travis fell on his butt. I would have laughed if I could. Many others did. I felt a sting in my heart. Why could I not be normal?

I turned around and started to walk toward the armory.

"Hey Natalia, wait!"

I did not stop. I was not in the mood for a joke. Connor reached me in a few strides and waved. I waved back. It was our way to say hi to each other. Normal people smiled. We waved.

"You're going to the armory, right?" I nodded. "Great, me too."

I tightened my hold on the bow in my hand. I could not lose my concentration.

"Did you see Travis fall?" He asked me, a proud smile on his lips.

"I did." I answered, trying to keep my mouth a straight line. His fall was something really comical and he knew it.

"Even that did not make you laugh?" Connor inquired, something in the back of his head.

"Guess not." I said, frowning, trying to figure out what he was going to do.

In a quick gesture, he stepped in front of me and took the bow out of my hand, I flinched back instinctively but he had the time to grab an arrow out of my quiver before I did. Turning around, he put the arrow on the bow and aimed. Before I could even open my mouth, he had drawn the arrow. I watched it fly rapidly toward a couple kissing under a huge apple tree. The arrow went hitting a small branch full of apples. The branch broke under the impact and fell beside the couple. Dozens of apples went rolling everywhere around them, and one fell on the guy's head. It made me crack a smile. The faintest of smile. Connor turned around to see my reaction only to find me covering my mouth with my hands. I was petrified. Fear had taken hold of my body as I met his gaze. Did he see it?

"Did you smile?" Connor grinned at me, walking to get closer to me.

I stepped back. He had not seen it, but it had been close. The tiny bit of joy I had felt was long gone. Removing the hands from my face, I shook my head. A tear streamed down my face and I wiped it angrily.

"Why are you crying?"

When I met Connor's eyes, I saw he did not understand my reaction. I knew he did not know why I was reacting like that but I could not help but be angry at him. I had told him to stop, many times, why was he not listening to me?

"Stop it!" I shouted, pushing him as he tried to get closer. He frowned. I was behaving like a crazy girl.

"Stop what?" He asked, clearly surprised by my reaction.

I shook my head again. Was he trying to make me angry on purpose?

"Stop trying to make me smile!"

He opened his mouth but no words came out. He had never seen me like that before. I had never raised my voice or been angry or even show any trace of emotions before. Just my usual poker face. Demigods around us had stopped what they were doing to look at us. I felt another tear streaming down my face. I really did not need to give the others any more reasons to avoid me. I glanced back at Connor. He was still staring at me, shocked. I took a deep breath and brushed the tears away. I stepped toward him, took the bow back from his hand and left