The Begining

The streets of the city were loud and filled with cars and people. Hard concrete and brown and red bricks littered the city jungle. The only green that could be seen for miles was in small parks for joggers and people to walk their beloved pets. The life of a city slicker was fast passed, urbanite to be precise.

Inside one of the large skyscrapers was a large apartment that belonged to one of the most famous interior decorators named Yvonne Bellay. She was engaged to a rich business man named Carlos Clark. Even though they are in their forties, they still acted like two teenage brats who think the world is there to serve them. This is how Jack felt about his mother ever since she divorced his father.

Jack is your typical seventeen year old teenager. His hair it pure white with little black growing from the roots of the back of his head. Once his hair was completely black but because of the genes from his grandfather, Jack is going grey earlier than your normal teenager. Like any teenager, dark blue jeans were a necessity. He wore a black short sleeve shirt that had a picture of an ice dragon from his favorite band. The only jewelry that adored his body was a set of hoop earrings along with two other piercings that went along the upper side up his right ear. And finally on his left wrist he had a thick leather decorative band that he had gotten from his father when the man traveled to one of the native islands for research.

You can imagine how his mother reacted to his piercings. Even though it was a rebellious act, Jack was not a high strung punk of a teen. Even though he dressed as such, he was much more different than his mother. Jack took mostly after his father, who by the way is still alive.

Jack's father is a scientist and a researcher named Arthur Dorian. Yvonne made sure to get rid of his last name when she divorced him. Unlike Yvonne, Arthur was a total one-eighty from how his ex wife is. Now don't be mean, Yvonne wasn't away snobbish. Arthur was just not around as much because of his last and still researching project. If you had to picture the man, just think of the father scientist from the movie Epic or Mile Thatch from that Disney's movie Atlantis.

Seriously, Jack had always thought that those movies were based off his father. He has no big nose but definitely wore glasses and was lanky compared to Jack's light built body. Even with all his father's travels, he still was a tooth pick of a man.

'Slam!'

Jack slammed his drawer back into place as he put the clothes in a duffle bag next to his already packed large suitcase.

His mother watched from the doorway, with an upset look on her face. "I still don't understand why you just don't come to the lake house with me and Carlos."

"Mom, we've been over this." Jack didn't even look at his mother as he walked into his closet to grab his favorite dark blue hoodie. "I want to spend time with Dad. And this is a great experience and I can put this on my college application." Stopping what he was doing, Jack looked at his Mom with a raised eye-brow. "You do want me to go to college....don't you?"

"Of course I want you to go to college." His mother grabbed her son's bunched up jacket out of his duffle bag and began to fold and place it back in. "I'm just....just" The word that wanted to come out were 'miss' but her stubbornness took over as she said, "I just don't feel like you should be going into some overgrown outback of some disgusting jungle with your loopy father, which surprises me that he hasn't been eaten yet. Who is also on some kind of crazy expedition for something that doesn't even exist."

Jack let out a sigh at his mother's words.

(It was true that his mother thought that. Heck, everyone in the world thought that. I should probably tell you the whole story of this world. The place Jack lives is like our world. Modern. Planes, cars, and cell phones dominate the technology age that we know. But the one thing that separates them from us is the Asunder. It is a giant mountain ridge that is more than ten thousand feet tall. It's as large as the top of Canada all the way to the bottom of South America. The mountains act like a border that surrounds the large mass of land. There is also no way to enter the mountains so people can't see what's on the other side.