Chapter 1: The (lesser known) Bite of '87

February 13th, 1987

Freddy Fazbear's Pizza #1

I was 19 years old at the time. My young 7 year old cousin was visiting from Nebraska for the week. On Friday, because he behaved well, I offered to take him out anywhere he wanted. He couldn't make up his mind, so I turned on the TV to browse through commercials to give him ideas. When I turned it on, it was playing one of those classic commercials for Freddy Fazbear's Pizza. He said that was where he wanted to go.

I had never been to Freddy's before, but I had seen those commercials on TV all the time. They always announced that they had "revolutionary animatronic technology". Although I didn't believe it at first, I was intrigued. I've heard from word of mouth that the pizza was terrible, but their other foods (pasta, salad and sandwiches) were decent, ironically enough.

As you probably guessed, around 12:47 PM I took my cousin to the restaurant. We parked the car outside and walked to the entrance. There was a sign above the door with Freddy Fazbear's Pizza written. Above the words were three animals: A brown bear with a black top hat and bowtie, a lavender bunny with a red bowtie carrying an electric guitar, and a yellow chicken with a bib that said "Let's Eat!" and holding a cupcake with eyes (though that was kinda creepy).

We entered into the admittance area and, after getting a Freddy Fazbear wrist band, walked into the Dining Area. It was crowded with kids and parents. The walls had bright, colorful scenery and occasional pizza decorations on them. The floor was checkered red and blue. The ceiling was pitch black and was about as high as a school gymnasium.

We sat down at one of the tables near the main stage, which had its curtains down. The curtains were the color purple with white stars on them. At the back of the room were what looked like three party rooms boarded up and sealed. They looked as if they were abandoned for nearly three years.

When we looked at the menu, I was surprised to see that most of the food was pretty cheap compared to other restaurants. Most of the items were about $1-$2. We ordered sandwiches just in case the rumors about the pizza were right. The sandwiches were actually delicious!

Several minutes after we received our food, the lights in the building darkened, like in a movie theater when the movie is about to start. Then, spotlights shone on the stage as a drum roll played and the announcer spoke:

"Attention all boys and girls! Right now, yes, NOW, your favorite band trio shall take the stage! Raise your hands and give it up for Freddy Fazbear, Bonnie the bunny, and Chica the chicken!"

I chuckled. "Real original names there." I thought sarcastically.

Once the announcer finished, the curtains raised, and three more spotlights came down one by one, showing three 8-foot tall full-body animatronics representing the three main characters, with Freddy in the center, Bonnie on the left, and Chica on the right.

As the kids roared with applause and cheers, I myself found an interest with the animatronics themselves. Their movement was surprisingly more advanced than any other animatronic I've ever seen in my life! I was surprised that despite the low prices for the food, the company could still afford high-budget animatronics!

Once the applause died down, the robots spoke (or at least their pre-recorded voices played) to the children.

Freddy spoke first:

"Hey Everyone!"

Then Chica:

"Hello, Boys and Girls!"