Chapter 10

I shift to lean on my side, lying down on the couch watching Hairspray.

I've always had a soft spot for musicals.

"Hey mama, welcome to the sixties! Oh oh, oh, oh, oooooohhhh, hey mama welcome to the sixties!"

I smile. My phone beeps. A test from Wes.

"I need to talk to you."

I roll my eyes, not bothering to answer. I lock my phone and turn it upside down.

Mom lays a grilled cheese with ketchup on the side in front of me. She smiles and kisses my temple. I smile back, happy that her eyes aren't bloodshot today.

"So let go, go, go of the past now. Say hello to the light in your eyes..."

Ding.

"It's important, not about getting back together, I promise."

Locked, turned over.

"Go, mama, go go go!"

"Who's blowing up your phone? Someone lit?" Mom says.

Disturbed, I turn around with lifted eyebrows. "Mom, don't ever say the word 'lit' again."

She shrugs and smiles. "Why not? I'm hip, I'm fire."

I drag a hand down my face. "Please stop. I'm begging you."

She chuckles. "Okay. Anything for my 'bae'."

I massage my temples and turn back to the T.V and my phone dings.

I drop my face on to the couch, groaning.

"It's about that Ben kid."

I take in a sharp breath.

I'll just tell him to leave me alone. That's an okay message, right?

Against my better judgement, I tell him to go away and then lock my phone, keeping the screen up this time.

I just want to watch Hairspray and not have a care in the world. Is that too much to ask for?

The screen lights up.

"You don't really trust him do you? Because you shouldn't, and I can tell you why."

I twiddle my thumbs together. I know he probably has nothing on Ben, but I could be wrong. Wes is unpredictable.

"Please stop texting me. We're over and done with, there is no need to keep in contact. Goodbye."

I smile at my strong self and then lock my phone and put it at the other side of the couch. Off.

Lula knocks on the door. I know it's her because for someone reason she gets to my house literally at the exact same time every Sunday. It's crazy but amazing at the same time.

I walk to the front and open the door. She's obviously texting and I roll my eyes but keep quiet. We go up to my room and I decide to try and pick out my outfit for tomorrow. I need to show Wes I'm not invested in whatever drama he's trying to start involving me in.